lichess.org
Donate

An argument for making chess960 the standard for chess

I like normal openings. Yall go ahead and play 960 if you want to. No one is stopping you.
@Sarg0n said in #30:
> For 15 years some people have been yelling: "The end is near." ( = of regular chess in favour of chess960).
>
> Remind the start of my letter:
>
> I remember vividly when German organizer Hans-Walter Schmitt assisted by his friend, World champion Viswanathan Anand, promoted Bobby Fischer’s revolutionary idea vigorously 15 years ago. He founded an association, and the chess960 rules were included in the FIDE laws of chess. It was praised as “the chess of the future“. In this respect nothing spectacular has happened in the over-the-board world afterwards though, Random Chess remained a random occurrence. There were almost no tournaments, no clubs, no gossip. However, on online servers one can find a lower single-digit percentage floor amongst other random variants. Fresh attempts have been launched recently, even boosted by the current World champion including master clashes, publicity, and money. ...

Remind my response:

Why might average players not be on board? Well, culturally, chess is very well-known and respected. 960 is new and doesn't have such a reputation yet. Additionally, change is scary to people. Especially people who are scared of leaving their opening prep behind.

Also, FIDE hasn't introduced ratings for 960 yet. Ratings would definitely help to legitimize 960 as players compete to get higher ratings.

But let's not conflate two questions:

1. Why isn't 960 as popular as chess yet? (Possible answers, it's less than 30 years old, not well-known, and no official ratings yet).

2. Which game is better, classical chess or chess960?

I think we should start with the second question. Because surely we agree that regardless of the answer to 1, we should want to promote 960 if it's the better game, right? So what are the reasons we should think SP 518 is the ultimate starting position such that we should ignore the other 959? If we started with 960, would you be arguing that we should stop playing the other 959 to obsess over SP 518?

You seem very concerned about what people are doing right now (while ignoring the obvious cultural and historical reasons for why chess is currently more popular), and you seem very disinterested in analyzing which game is actually better from a gameplay/mechanics standpoint. I see the latter as much more important. Wouldn't you agree?
@Adrenalectomy said in #33:
> I like normal openings. Yall go ahead and play 960 if you want to. No one is stopping you.

What do you like about rote memorization?
@Prophiscient ??????????????????????? .... I HAVE SPOKEN >>>> NOW YOU KNOW' . You have Learned that Chess960 is Chess960 & isn't replacing Chess .............. EVER >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CASO CERRADO Case Closed . I am the morning & evening Star
@ThunderClap said in #36:
> @Prophiscient ??????????????????????? .... I HAVE SPOKEN >>>> NOW YOU KNOW' . You have Learned that Chess960 is Chess960 & isn't replacing Chess .............. EVER >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CASO CERRADO Case Closed . I am the morning & evening Star

It'll probably replace it eventually tbh. I think most people will get tired of obsessing over SP 518 eventually. But probably not preppers with titles.
@Adrenalectomy said in #38:
> I like the structures involved.

Ahh okay. Then what do you dislike about the additional structures 960 offers?
@Prophiscient said in #39:
> Ahh okay. Then what do you dislike about the additional structures 960 offers?

I don't dislike 960 and occasionally play a bit but normal chess just seems more aesthetically neat.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.