lichess.org
Donate

Achieve 2000 rating without studying, just game experience, is it possible?

I've known several people over the years that (in OTB chess) had a rating around USCF 2000 and didnt study openings so of course it is possible. One played stonewall attack as white where it is very hard to be surprised by an opening innovation. He played the standard stonewall attacking formation every game as white and had a lot of experience with it. [I dont know what he played as black-I only played him once & he had white. It turned into a long manouvering, closed game that I eventually won.] Another guy was a junior in Georgia way back when. He just thought hard and deeply on every move and figured it out as he went. I played him once as black and played the Marshall attack which puts a lot of stress on W to figure out. He was a stronger player than me at the time but I won that one. I know a third that always played b3 as white and French defense as black. He didnt study openings and basically played defense & waited for his opponent to screw up. I had constant difficulty playing against him with either color. So of course it's possible.
@Monder23

the link came up wrong, only shows 1 video, search for "Chessmaster 10 - Waitzkin Intermediate Lessons" on youtube to find the playlist.

(I tried to edit my original post but was unable to, maybe it gets edited with a delay)
@Meddard these videos are just amazing!! , thank you very much for sharing! i suggest everyone to check them out, very well explained mental process by Josh Waitzkin!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.