lichess.org
Donate

i am attempting to get 2000 rating in all time controls and variants

I want to master standard chess in a short period of time. I am playing the corrospondence format and want to achieve a rating where beating the second highest player on this website awards me + or - 0 points and further progress with one account becomes impossible or to prove myself as the best chess player by winning a fair play banner but with my own brain. If or when I achieve one of these two things I might take up a similar challenge by trying to conquer other time formats and variants. Good idea and good luck in YOUR attempt at it.
AHHH FINALLY!! 2000 blitz! That was actually harder than i expected, feels good to finally get there.

OK, puzzles, bullet and blitz completed. I have decided to take @hal9k s suggestion and tackle chess960 next. I have little to no experience playing 960. Ive played a few games here and there on lichess and on chess.com, but never took it seriously. Still, I know i can get to 2000 if i set my mind to it.
I will be providing updates on my progress in this thread for anyone that is interested.

Till then, CYA
Well, when you will be most proud & loud person in the world that you play on 2000 rating, keep in mind, that touching some rating and actually playing on it - very big difference. To say that you play on 2000 you must touch somewhere around 2100-2150.

Other than that, honestly, good luck! Oh and when you'll get 2000 horde, write what you think about the variant. That will be indeed interesting.
First day of playing 960 - my thoughts: (june 6-7)

Gained 130 rating points. (1535 to 1667). Only 333 rating points to go.

This wont translate from regular chess as easy as i thought it would. Im getting beat up by lower rated players and all my wins are hard fought. The next 333 rating points will not come easy.
Another thing i noticed : the player pool is dwarfed in size when compared to the standard chess pools. This creates a rating deflation. A chess960 2000 is a much stronger and more elite player than a standard one. Still, my hopes are high and my confidence is unwavering.

Till next time, CYA

@hal9k it might be some time before i get to horde :)

Day 2/3 (june 8,9)

Gained 75 rating points (1667 to 1742) Only 258 rating points to go.

I started stalling around the 1700 mark, but once i cleared it for good, i didnt look back. I seem to have found some rythem and fluidity with my moves.
Since you are 2000 in bullet and blitz already doing this in rapid and classical should be very easy. In variants it may be a different story though.
This site, like chess.com, doesn't have separate ratings for different speeds at variants but just one all stuck together.

Not sure why both sites feel that you need to split regular chess into different ratings for classic/rapid/blitz/bullet but variants just all go into one.

For myself, I cannot play extremely fast anything. I play much crazyhouse, normally at 5+5 or slower, always with increment. I don't play flagging contest.

It is good though if you have managed to "master" all the variants, but if you get your high rating in variants simply becase you have mastered the art of very quick play and flagging and then play them all at 1+0 or something silly like 1/4+0 it isn't really mastering the variant.

June 10:

1800!!

Im progressing even faster than i expected. At this rate i'll hit my goal in no time

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.