lichess.org
Donate

Fat Fritz 2 is a rip-off

Trying to copy my fishy stockfishy friend… Oh, you chose the wrong thing to copy from....... FF2
hey did you notice that FF2 is SF12 just with the S turned into a F and they deleted the 1? Haha, they gave it away too obvious.
What a great article - shame on Albert Silver and Chessbase! Thanks for warning us, and great job to all developers working on StockFish and Leela.
I think the opposing side and the defending side fight will never end ( I read every messages till my comment which 369 comments! ). As I think what is chessbase has done is legel BUT they should give credit to Stockfish, and they should not hide the fact and it is not the fault of Chessbase team nor there ytube channels it is SILVER who is false leading everyone he managed to fool the Chessbase team and trick everyone. Which is making the Chessbase team look bad.... BTW did Albert made Fat fritz too!? if Chessbase team did it then it is a scam. Chessbase was amazing in the start but they look to drop I hope they remove the silver guy from there good team and I hope they get back up where they were before :) well I got the Fat fritz for free as if there are 20-30 players who need it we can just buy only 1 software and then we can copy it and put it in everyone pc or laptops by a Pen drive. so it is not that costly if u know this trick ( we can do the same trick with Chessbase 12,13.14 etc. I don't need new fat fritz 2 I have the old one which is good enough. but still thx for the info lichess.
> " I got the Fat fritz for free as if there are 20-30 players who need it we can just buy only 1 software and then we can copy it and put it in everyone pc or laptops"

Yes ... I think this is still an interesting and un-answered aspect to all this. If you fork Stockfish (or any other GPL product), your product must according to GPL also be a GPL product and open source (that's why Chessbase quickly released the FF2 code after the backlash). In theory, that means we're all free to download Fat Fritz 2 and distribute it to whoever we want, right? According to the GPL we could even host it for free on our own sites. Does anyone familiar with the GPL know more about this situation?
Albert Silver and/or Chessbase are guilty of the following:

1. Violating the GPL by not releasing the the source code. (they've since released it, but only after being confronted about it)
2. Violating the GPL by not releasing the net weights that they originally packaged with the binary. (because the weights were packaged with the binary, they now fall under GPL3 and cannot be separated from GPL3)
3. Claiming to have invented the NNUE engine from scratch.
4. After getting caught in the above lie and changing their story without apologizing, claiming that the network matters more than the engine, which is an absurd claim. (Anyone can make a half decent net. Silver just wants more praise than he deserves)
5. Continuing to claim, with manipulated tests, that FF2 is stronger than SF, when all truly independent tests show that it is actually weaker.

And finally:
6. Even after admitting that it's just a network for Stockfish, neglecting to apologize for the previous and continuing lies.

And this incident is strike three against them. This is the third time this has happened. They haven't learned. They aren't repentant about it. No more chances should be given.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.