lichess.org
Donate

Beginner advice: Do NOT study openings (game included 2100vs2100)

Nah, the button is probably better, so we dont have to parse every note entry.
@Ernst_Weiss Aristotle? I wish I could recollect what he had to say about memory but age creeping in I imagine decay is accelerating within me and the movement prevents me from doing so. ;D
No, serious, i also wish i could refind that quote. Im quite interested in information sorting, im so unhappy with the existing solutions.
For the practical player it's a complicated thing i guess. E. g. with black against 1. e4, when most beginners play 1... e5. Opponent A throws some greco-gambit at you, opponent B evans gambit, opponent C king's gambit and so on. And they studied at least one trap in their opening. You go that arms race in these opening, go for any sicilian, french, whatever, or maybe even worse play some passive crap or you suffer for some time until you're strong enough and have some experience in such positions.

But anyway, study some master games in a line you have no clue about and some tactics in the openings (there are chessable courses and other products to do that), maybe study short wins and losses in your openings.
Just study tactics, master are always the best of the best. Even if you look at old Master games, they just think of thinks that don't appear on the board but they think about, things that players under them would have to work out. It's like wanting to fly before learning to walk.

Just look at the game Lasker vs tarasch. Were repairing the pawn chain actually loses. What would a beginner learn from studying games way above their skill level? If you learn tactics and become a stronger player, it's like learning to read.

Also let's say you learn a trap you will forgetting it,but if you become a stronger player. A. You might work it out you own. B if you become stronger you memory increases and you see it once and won't forget.
@Subomega that makes sense, but a million dollar question is still up: how to become a strong player?
According to GM Nigel Davies it's just simply to play in a lot of tournaments and analyse your games. Of course the logic in that is what I said earlier, which is you basically analyse your own games. And playing them before the analysis keeps hands on learning in action. What you might find if you learn enough is even masters have theoretical lack of knowledge. And sometimes feel for the position is way more practical than popular theoretical study.

99/100 strong GMs will give you the same advice on chess improvement: Study the classics (soviet era, 40s-70s), read good books, play classical, analyze your own games, practice tactics, play against players (slightly) stronger than yourself etc. I don't think that's a hard to get answer. It's only a matter of putting in the work.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.