lichess.org
Donate

Who is better, one who is 2100 in blitz or 2100 in rapid?

Hmm i would say rapid cause of OTB many games are just rapid
We have no way to know. Maybe the 2100 person at blitz is 1700 at rapid or maybe he's 2500. And same applies to the blitz rapid of the other person. It's like if I ask who's better between the karate world champion and the boxing world champion.
To-my-knowledge: Many people who play Rapid play Rapid to get good; Many people who play Blitz play Blitz because they are good.

Plus, Blitz is harder.

Therefore, I would say the 2100 Blitz player.

(Side-note: A Blitz player wouldn’t mind having more time if they played Rapid, but a Rapid player would not enjoy having less time if they played Blitz - thus, the Blitz player would likely win more-often if they both had to play an equal number of both Rapid and Blitz games. Not that this is important to the discussion, but just felt like mentioning it)

Just some thoughts.
Rapid. Blitz is prone to make tons of mistakes due to the speed and/or premoves and many time wins/loses. So regardless of the rating they have. they often play better when they actually have to think, and the rating really does not reflect their real strength, as many points are won due to time mistakes, and many more are lost for same reasons. Its harder to throw initiative and advantages when your next move is not made in the next 5 seconds.
Nah blitz is just for fun, only classical and rapid ratings should be considered
hence 2100 rapid is better
Definitely 2100 Blitz if you are talking about Lichess ratings, just look at the average ratio between rapid and blitz ratings, almost everyone has a significantly higher rapid rating, probably because the pool is weaker.
At least that seems to be the case up to a rating of about 2200, where rapid and blitz seem to be about the same.

chessgoals.com/rating-comparison/#Lichess_Rating_vs_FIDE_and_USCF

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.