lichess.org
Donate

What are the typical plans to defeat players rated from 1800 - 2500 in lichess ?

@justthetime said in #1:
> What are the typical plans to defeat players rated from 1800 - 2500 in lichess ?

Players below 2000 like to play on the King side so attack them on the Queen side. Players from 2000 - 2200 like to play on the Queen side so attack them on the King side. Players above 2200 like to play in the center so throw a coin to decide whether to attack them on the King side or Queen side.

If that sounds a bit ridiculous its because it is. Just as the question.

The correct answer is: Play your best chess. And if that's not good enough then work on getting better. There is no magic bullet.
1800 to 2000, lots of tactics.
2000 to 2100, tactics, strategy, basic endgame.
2100 to 2200, strategy, endgame.
2200 to 2300, strategy, endgame, opening.
2300+, advanced strategy, advanced endgame, lots of opening theory.
Play a solid opening that dont create weaknesses.
With 2000 and below, play a better middlegame and the rest is just technique.
With over 2000, reach an equalish endgame and play it better.

The players tend to get better with rating obviously, so there are really less chances of actually winning the game. For instance, in blitz, most of my games end up with some one timing out or resigning, mate is the least probable to happen, just about the same rate as draws. It happens, but its less often.

It gets actually harder the higher you go up in the ladder. There are no concrete ways, players are too good and is very frequent to end up in an equal endgame.

What you can actually try is to aim for an imbalanced position, but since you will often be the one aiming for the imbalance, it means that you are the one making the risks. If you are not good enough at deep calculations or dont have a long term plan and go for the imbalance, you will probably lose, you simply have to be better than the opponent. That is why practice, learn common positions, tactics, etc enter the scene. That is the edge some one will have.
1800 to 2000, tactics.
2000 to 2100, more tactics.
2100 to 2200, even more tactics, strategy.
2200 to 2300, tactics, strategy, endgame.
2300 to 2500 lots of tactics, lots of strategy, lots of endgames, lots of openings.
2500+ head goes booooom!!!
@SD_2709 said in #17:
> I got the first one. How do I 'understand' the board? In the middle game and the endgame I tend to play random moves without a plan. How do I make a plan? Added to that I also have a weak endgame.

This is a very good question. Playing through master games, analysing your games, you get some experience reading the board. Based on the board, you create your plan and follow it. One good way to learn how to make a plan is through studying endgames.

Have fun
1. Don't attack in opening just make your piece active
2. Attack in middlegame and advance your pawns
3. Endgame, defend the pawns and win
@magicsacrifblunder said in #25:
> This is a very good question. Playing through master games, analysing your games, you get some experience reading the board. Based on the board, you create your plan and follow it. One good way to learn how to make a plan is through studying endgames.
>
> Have fun

(I mess up like this in endgames probably why I can't make it to 1700)
And sorry for the pinging if you find them annoying I'll just put () so that you don't get pinged.
@SD_2709 i do believe the problem was the move 31. you let black get the seventh. And after that i do not see a return.

The seventh and open files are the main strategic goals for the rooks.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.