lichess.org
Donate

Tactics vs. Game Ratings: A statistical analysis (5000+ lichess players)

While thinking about chess improvement strategies, I became very interested in the relationship between tactics training and in-game improvement. Unfortunately, Lichess doesn't provide the information necessary for an in-depth assessment of that relationship.

So I got the data myself...

# Question 1: What is the distribution of tactics/puzzles ratings?

Lichess does not offer this information at the moment, but it does provide ratings distributions for other chess variants:

en.lichess.org/stat/rating/distribution/blitz

# Question 2: How strong is the relationship between tactics skills and in-game playing strength?

# Methodology

1. Copy the names of all members of the most popular Lichess Team. This gives us a sample of nearly 5000 players.

2. Record the rating of each player in every chess variant, as well as her tactics training rating.

3. Plot the distribution of tactics ratings.

4. Estimate a linear regression model to measure the association between tactics ratings and classical (or blitz) ratings.

# Results: Distribution of tactics ratings

Overall, the distribution of tactics ratings look like something between classical and blitz (but with higher variance than either of those):

* 25% of players in the sample have tactics ratings below 1229 (classical=1331; blitz=1251)
* 50% of players in the sample have tactics ratings below 1451 (classical=1511; blitz=1408)
* 75% of players in the sample have tactics ratings below 1710 (classical=1725; blitz=1633)

On average, players' tactics rating tends to be 87 points lower than their classical rating.

On average, players' tactics rating tends to be 21 points higher than their blitz rating.

On average, players' classical chess rating tends to be 103 points higher than their blitz rating.

Full distributions graph here: http://imgur.com/a/BiNzr

# Results: Association between puzzles and in-game performance

Here's a scatter plot of the relationship between tactics skills and in-game strength (with LOESS fitted line): http://imgur.com/a/BiNzr

The association between tactics skills and in-game strength is obviously positive: good tacticians are hard to beat (not surprising).

Interestingly, the relationship between tactics ratings and classical chess ratings appears to be strongly linear. If you're willing to take liberties with causal interpretation, this could suggest that there are no "decreasing returns" to tactics improvement. Do more puzzles!

On average, if you compare two players with 100 points difference in tactics rating, the higher rated player will tend to have 62 higher classical chess rating (and 61 higher blitz rating).

But tactics isn't everything! The training ratings "explain" only about half of the variance in classical and blitz ratings (R^2=0.48 in the linear regressions).

# Is the sample representative?

Probably not.

Measurement issues: There may be ratings drift over time, and some of the players I looked up may not have played in a while.

Selection problem: Members of this particular team may be different than others.

Oh well!

# Want to play with the data?

Here's a link to the data in CSV format: pastebin.com/CJLxKRAA
Great work! For better accuracy, I think you would have to set a lower limit on the number of games played and the number of tactics puzzles solved for your samples since you could easily have a player with 10k games played and only a few tactics puzzles done.
Good work!

One minor quibble: it's probably more interpretable to say the correlation is r=.7 between tactics and playing strength.
nice data, so you are basically saying that if you are good in tactics you are good at chess? I am not so sure about it , I have seen some players with high tactic ratings who were not the best players. If I remember correctly there were some GM puzzle solving competition the best puzzle solvers were not necessarily the best players.
Personally I have stopped doing random tactics altogether and I have become a better player, I only do tactics from my own games now and some basic endgame tactics which are likely to occur in my games.

If a good chess player is good at tactics does this automatically imply that a good tactics solver is a good chess player?
Chess playing strength is mainly taking the correct decisions. Solving puzzles is closer to that than reading books at least.
Thanks all for your comments.

oldnewb: Good point about minimum game cutoff. At some point though, I had just busted my procrastination allocation, and couldn't justify wasting more time on this...

BigGreenShrek: Sure. "Half the variation" seems pretty useful too ;)

Poldi_der_Drache: Obviously, this is just a bunch of correlations, so I can't claim that solving more puzzles will increase you game strength. You can make an argument for reverse causality here (better overall chess players become better tacticians), but the causal mechanism linking overall strategic/opening understanding to puzzle solving is less clear than the other way around.

Basically, like Sarg0n says, these data make pretty clear that the type of skill deployed to solve puzzles is quite germane to in-game strength. Obviously, not for every single player, on average, etc etc.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.