lichess.org
Donate

I'm stuck at 1200

First, some encouragement... it's GREAT that you're playing longer time controls. That's outstanding - and a great way to improve. Keep doing that.

Looking at a couple of your games, even just asking yourself "Why did my opponent play this move? What does it threaten? Does it leave anything undefended?" would help. Also, for yourself, maybe turn on move confirmation. Make the move and before you confirm ask yourself: "By moving this piece, what changed? Is it moved to a square that is attacked more times than it is defended? Was it protecting some of your other pieces" That'll help with one move errors.

If you can be disciplined and do that, the next thing is have a plan. Don't just move, have a plan. Plans don't have to be huge and complex they can be simple. THIS pawn is weak (undefended) I can go after it, etc.

Lastly, don't fuss about learning openings. That comes much later. Just go nice and slow, make the checks up above and that will help. Is there a local chess club near where you live you could go to? While lichess is awesome, it's nice to meet real people who can show you things too.
"don't fuss about learning openings"
I've been listening to advices like that until discovered that without opening theory I'm regularly shooting myself in the leg since move 2-3 and the entire game goes into wrong direction.
Well said... 😀

😁. If I may, I would like to make the addition of perspective. Plateaus in chess arise in multiple levels, as the chess bell curve suggests, understanding changes... the lichess drop from 1500? To 1100 is unnerving, but the fun begins quickly, for there are literally hundreds of gaffs one is exploited until they find some level of calm.

This calm can come as an “at least I lasted 20+ moves”.... 1500s is hard to get past due to outrageous tactics, at 1800 you will begin to find hidden chess, where your opponents every move is a trap for you to navigate...

This aspect of chess goes on to 2200 where one slight error in opening can spiral out of control...
The master levels every move as perfect as the last. And on and on til you get to the Uber levels 2700 2800 threshold

So while you are currently stuck at the 1300 threshold, remember this merely one of the many thresholds Caissa hides within the complexities of chess...

@Acerb8 I find your analysis of the different chess played at different lichess ratings, but I'm curious where you got your information. I haven't really noticed many traps at 1800. In my opinion, there are simply fewer and fewer traps as you progress. I'm interested in your sources and analysis.
You will get stuck at 1200 for a while, at 1400 for a while, at 1600 for a while etc. There is no particular 'getting from 1200 to 1400' aspect of play that is the magic bullet to study.

It just happens. Play more games, practice your openings and do puzzles at least somewhat regularly. Then one day you won't be 1200 any more. You've only been playing for a couple of months, it's a slow process. I think that I got stuck around 1200 for a month or two when I started (which was at the beginning of this year).
Thanks everyone. Hanging pawns got me into chess btw. I will try for a coach preferably irl
@puppyplay I watched a Majnu2006 video (old as hell youtube vids) and that's what he said basically. Improvement happens without you noticing it.
Just keep on training until you do not realize you are improving a lot. Create your own training regimen. I call my regimen as "concentration method", I do it each and every day. I just enjoy it, having fun is the most important aspect in my opinion.
""don't fuss about learning openings"
I've been listening to advices like that until discovered that without opening theory I'm regularly shooting myself in the leg since move 2-3 and the entire game goes into wrong direction."

I mean, you need to know SOMETHING about openings. But at 1200 level, you can need to learn a few basic systems to develop your pieces properly and you're probably going to be okay. You can probably get by at this level with just London system for White and Scandi (vs e4) + KID (vs anything else) as Black and you won't need to know anything more until you're up to at least 1500+ rating level. Yes, there might be the odd time that you'll run into a weird opening trap or crazy gambit, which, okay, it happens, learn how to avoid that line and move on, but most of the time some simple solid opening is going to get you to a "good enough" position and keep you out of trouble.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.