lichess.org
Donate

How To Reach 2000 VOL.2

About 6 months ago i created a topic, i was about 1700-1800(rapid) and i wanted to improve to 1900-2000 by end of the summer.
I asked you guys if it was possible to hit 2000 by end of the summer, most of you said no.

I am a very lazy person, I've almost never studied in my life, So i knew i would have to do some real work.

Mostly i was doing tactics for about 1-2 hours a day, i was playing 2-3 games per day and i was analyzing them for about 15-20 minutes.

Well we can say that i progressed:

In rapid now i am 1850-1900 which is still a progress, its not huge, i expected a little bit more, but its still a progress and i am not a kid anymore, so i am not sad.

I also reached almost 2200 in hyperbullet, Which i know is not a huge deal, because its mostly just a mouse battle, but 6-12 months ago i could not even maintain 2000 in bullet, now i can relax and still be over 2100 which is great, I am loving it.

I am the worst at blitz, 6 months ago i was about 1600 in blitz, now i am about 1800(i am not a huge fan of blitz chess)

So generally speaking i improved but i am still not 2000 in rapid, i even have a hard time beating 1900s, i get better positions but they are tricky players.

So my goal is to simply hit 2000 by end of this year(in rapid) what do you think is it possible?
i want to be about 1950-2000.

all i do is tactics(1 hour a day)
playing with focus
and analyzing briefly.

I can not do more, I simply cant, This is my max. even if i do i am starting to play worse chess, i am getting tired easily.

So what do you think is it possible?
Keep on playing bullet and you won’t improve at chess. A bit harsh, but that’s the way I see it. You decide: bullet or chess
I looked at a few of your rapid games, and it seems you just make too many tactical mistakes. Keep doing tactics, solve for accuracy and you should improve. Playing longer time controls also help.
"Mostly i was doing tactics for about 1-2 hours a day, i was playing 2-3 games per day and i was analyzing them for about 15-20 minutes."

Keep doing this, and stop playing bullet.

I mean you can play bullet if you want to blow off some steam at the end of a study session, but it will do nothing for your chess.
You're doing it the correct way I think. I am also lazy and all I do is play one or two classical (15:15) games a day. Sometimes only one game in a few days. Analyzing your game after you played it is super important. As for tactics - I do mostly the 5 tactics and one lesson I'm allowed in the other site and sometimes some tactics here too.

If you want to really improve maybe you should also start memorizing opening variations.
Also - watch super GMs tournaments without evaluation or analysis. Try to find the move they should play by yourself. If you can't understand why they didn't play the move you thought about, only then switch the analysis on and watch what the computer thinks about your move and how it handles it.

And CM Sargon is right - quit the bullet, it's not chess.

@orior

"If you want to really improve maybe you should also start memorizing opening variations."

No.

Memorizing lines all by itself is a waste of effort.
What you should do is to try to improve your understanding of the openings you play. Plans, typical manoeuvres, and so on. If you do it right, you will start to remember the correct lines without rigid memorization anyways... but as a bonus you will also find answers to unknown moves by yourself.

The important thing to learn in the opening is not WHAT to play (move by move), but WHY (patterns).
@Sarg0n

I play Bullet just for fun at late nights, when i listen to the music and just chill.

I know its not helpful at all, but it reflects my progress in rapid chess.

BTW I checkmated him with 0.01 sec left.

Sometimes when i play i get a flow, it feels so good.

So how to reach 1950-2000 by end of this year in rapid?
will my strategy be enough? maybe i already am playing at my potential and i no longer can improve.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.