lichess.org
Donate

Any tips on helping 1000 level players to improve

I’ve been trying to teach a couple of players from my school recently but they don’t seem to find it interesting playing against me nor do they like analysing games. If anyone has experience with teaching beginners, feel free to share your approach.
Let them play against similar rated players, it's no fun losing all the time against a higher rated player.

Also, chess ain't for everyone, so theres that, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
If they don't find it interesting to play you, who do they find it interesting to play with?

I also think addressing their weaknesses helps a lot. Had someone identified my weaknesses this time last year (knights), I might have been 2200 rapid.

Revise opening principles. I think 1000ish players dont have a solid understanding of the centre, and can fall for central forks with pawns.

I want to discourage beginners from playing Petrov's defence. It can be tricky at 1000 level, and theory should be known
There is also the possibility of what mistakes you did when you were 1000 ( in my case knights), and maybe tell them and how to avoid it.
1000 is basically about not hanging pieces and mate, although I must admit me too did that both recently.
#2 They do play against people of their level but they don’t seem to learn anything from those games. I’m the assistant coach at my school, I won’t have to teach them anymore when they reach 1200 on lichess but all of them have been stuck at 1000 for a few months now and are losing interest in chess so I’m hoping that someone who has had experience in teaching low rated players would give me some tips.
Just let them play each other. After a loss, tell them to shake hands, say "Thanks for the game!", smile and go next. Practice checkmate patterns with them and tactical motifs. Review some instructive games to give them ideas on what to look for during a game. Or just ask them what would they like to do, as fun is in the 1st place. Perhaps show them some variants to get them excited. I've been teaching children at a nearby club for a while and they find bughouse variant very interesting. They are now always at the top of every youth competitions as a result.
I forgot to mention they like to play tournaments between themselves or team matches (3 vs 3, 6 vs 6) etc. Perhaps that's going to work for your students as well. And it's great for acquiring teamwork spirit and will to win as a team.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.