lichess.org
Donate

about 2100+ resilience

Are players over 2100 more resilient, or do I get this impression because I'm a 'tourist' in this rating range?

The question is why if this is perhaps a rating feature above 2000+ or ​​2100+, then I would have to adapt to that too trying to be more resilient.

However, this may be just because they are rating ranges in my limit and I would be saying the same thing if I had 1700 best rating ..
Yeah, you probably can toy around with 1800s whereas I would need to put forth plenty of effort. Just depends on your rating range!
These are dangerous players and even when you are winning they can still beat you. It’s often stated that you have to beat a master twice to win one game.
FIDE Elo >2200 is pretty resilient. Add some hundreds and then you know what this is in lichess respectively.

By the way, this the bigger difference in my opinion. Even weaker players attack sometimes quite well but if there‘s an obstacle they break down immediately. So strong players are better defenders.
@Sarg0n

Once I was stunned by my trainer (then down to 2580) when he said about a game from an open tournament: Winning against 2200 is simple. They can only attack.
True.

Just today I had a very instructive 3|0 blitz game VS 1800 (I’m 2200+ in blitz and had as high as 2254 couple of days ago), so this 1800 guy absolutely crushed me with his Colle/Stonewall attack (I was black), he clearly did his homework, got a textbook dominating position, won a pawn, then an exchange! And he was 1 minute up on the clock in a 3-minute game... But I sped up and flagged him using my bullet experience. I avoided exchanges, kept the position as blocked as I could, defended every square and kept shuffling my pieces back and forth in optimal defensive formations. We both began blundering in time trouble, but his flag fell first.

Basically he had limited weapons, just attack and good opening prep. While I have more tricks in my bag, namely speed, tactics, and defense.

Likewise when I play 2400s I can often get a winning position against them, just like that 1800 did against me, but they are tough to put away, and eventually they slowly turn the tide and beat me with exactly those tools I beat 1800 with: speed, tactics and defense.
"But I sped up and flagged him using my bullet experience. I avoided exchanges, kept the position as blocked as I could, defended every square and kept shuffling my pieces back and forth in optimal defensive formations. We both began blundering in time trouble, but his flag fell first."

I think this is not meant when people speak of defense in chess terms. This is rather good bullet technique and has hardly anything to do with a good chess defense. The clock and the mouse are dominant.
From what I understand from the answers, this is not a feature of a given rating range (2200+, for example), but rather something variable determined by the player rating. That is, if I have 1600, I will consider 1800 more resilient (tough), but if I have 2200, just 2400 would be too tough.

howrever, my personal history shows that only from the 2000+ this relisience exist, have I ever either smoth lost or smoth win below 2000 rating range ... Although in recent years I have noticed a different stance on chess.com where players of 1200 are highly competitive!

In my youth, the 1200 rating did not exist, I never had this rating as far as I can remember... My first rating was something like 1500 and I would win some more points up to 1600~1700 in FICS or playchess... Todays I see 1200 players which KNOW play chess, not total beginer with fighting to understand knight-move-rules...

---------
I'm talking 'resilience' in the context of fighting using the resources one have even if the position is completely lost. Bluffs, desperate attacks, avoiding exchaging pieces that would allow more chances of counterattack, etc. These players never give up unless all possible tricks are neutralized. If I play h3 (or h6) and this player bets everything on a back rank mate, he folds immediately!

But I am also associating the word 'resilience' with willpower, competitiveness, etc. I think one thing leads to another, I would say!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.