lichess.org
Donate

1800 player can't mate with K + Q vs. K

Are you kidding me? How does an 1800 player fail to checkmate with queen and king...it so simple...just chase the king with the queen using the L pattern to the side of the board...then bring your king in to help with the checkmate...its so easy...I checkmated with rook and king also with few seconds on the clock.

I do get it tough...some players can get to 1800 fast because they have natural talent for tactics...but they may not know their basic king and queen checkmate.
In regards to wasting time, that's just plain stupid. Regardless of how good you are and how much you are up, end games and converting on a winning position is essential. @osmanre you should thank your opponent for letting you get the practice in that so few ppl do rather than waste their time, and you most CERTAINLY should understand that if there's a possibility of winning/drawing still (as shown by OP in this case) then you shouldn't hold it against your opponent for "dragging" it out.
There's something a bit petty about dragging the game on in the unlikely hope that somebody will screw up such a winning position....but then they do so once in a while, so I suppose it's worth it.
I don't mind if my opponent is continuing to play after I have a clearly winning position. Unless they stop making moves and let the clock run out.
@cheddarman1
How gentle of you to embarass your opponent for blundering into a stalemate. Pretty sure he was distracted in some way. Your attitude is hidious.
Wow I’m sorry but that player who couldn’t do a simple mate must be a beginner or something. He is way overrated probably
It is basic chess etiquette to resign a lost position. The comparison with some spectator oriented sport is out of place, this is not a Rocky movie but real life admitting defeat is just a normal part of it. It does not matter if the player is 1800 or 2500, everybody can be bored into carelessness, the player did absolutely know how to avoid the stalemate he just did not pay attention to this unneccessary thing. Gloating over such an achievment is petty and assuming the guy "did not know" is especially smart because you lost to him thereby degrading your own play.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.