lichess.org
Donate

Epic! Shirov-Aronian, 2006

Sub-1300 player here, but my calculation is that a rook sacrifice on h8 followed by black king to f7 or f8 traps the white king on h7 and pawn on h6, forcing white into zugzwang and having to play either the b-file or d-file pawns, leading to capture and queening. Black must be careful not to capture or block the white pawn on c-file to avoid stalemate.
White have decisive advantaje, pased pawn in h what black can trade, but a high cost, pawn in f5 is lost, very low chance to draw. White will win.
@theosarugambit

How do you move the rook to h8? f7-h7-h8? Or f7-f8-h8?

Edit: Maybe something like Rf8, Kg7, Rh8, Kxh8, Kf7, Kh7, and keeping the white king locked up? But then how does black continue?

Edit: Kf6 ? Kg8, Kg6, Kf8, and then Kxh6 ?

Edit: I just tested a few lines, @theosarugambit seems to have it worked out. Not sure exactly how the game ended, but with something like that Black probably won.

Edit: 1. h7 Rf8 2. Kg7 Rh8 3. Kxh8 Kf7 4. d5 cxd5
5. b3 cxb3 6. c4 b2 7. c5 b1=Q 8. c6 Qb8# 0-1

Edit: 1. d5 cxd5 2. b3 cxb3 3. c4 dxc4 4. h7 Ah, zugzwang. Always gets you in the end! Rxh7
5. Kxh7 Kf7 6. Kh6 b2 7. Kh5 b1=Q 0-1

wow i would have probably never calculated that trap on my own.
Actually the game was over at that time. White simply had resigned.
@InnateAluminum , this is what I meant.

1. h7 Rf8.
2 Kg7 Rh8.
3. Kxh8 Kf7

After that it's white's move and zugzwang, the only moves are b3 or d5, both of which lose.

If white chooses not to play Kxh8 (or any of those moves, and targets the f5 pawn instead), black will just capture the pawn on h6 or h7 (wherever it ends up) - white cannot protect the pawn any more, and black will keep the rook, and win the game

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.