lichess.org
Donate

Chess Coach LM Lance5500 students reviews

All Lichess coaches' students reviews have been removed on the 14th June 2023:
lichess.org/forum/general-chess-discussion/pawnstructures-angry-and-disappointed-lichess-coach?page=2#16

Chess Coach LM Lance5500 students reviews which have appeared on the coach page lichess.org/coach/Lance5500 until the 14th June 2023:

1) parrotz

Everyone knows that Lance is one of the strongest players on Lichess, but what most don't know is that he is also incredibly kind, thoughtful, and dedicated to his students.

Lance strives to be as flexible as possible to adapt to the needs of each student at each moment in time - no cookie cutter lesson plans. He is available very often, whether you want a full-blown lesson or just a few quick games.

The bottom line is that Lance is more dedicated to his students than any other coach I've seen. You absolutely will not regret working with him.

2) ShrayanM

Lance is an excellent coach, who goes out of his way to help you improve your chess greatly. He is also an excellent player, friend and companion who has been playing online chess for a long time and is now not only an online chess legend but also an awesome online coach and a kind and helpful friend to have. Im 101 percent sure you will not regret your decision to hire him as your coach!

3) slimyseabass2007

good coach

4) StarThanatos

When I see Lance to play, I notice a sinchronization between his move and the feeling of the position. His games are very instructive, with logic, big imagination, and good high level. He is a very kind person too. I recommend you.

5) travelhead

Lance is an INCREDIBLE chess coach, mentor and friend! He's available for my unique schedule, and teaches according to my preferences. I love playing blitz or 15 minute games with him, or we can go into detailed lessons about my current games, sometimes spending an entire hour on a single game played. Lance's English is fantastic. More importantly, Lance has become an online friend that cares about my daily life and chess improvement. I Highly Recommend Lance !! A+++++

6) TheChessOperator

Mr Lance is a great coach and person. He is very respectfull, flawless in explaning chess, proffesional, and has a sense of humour. I've watched a 1000 chess games, but in the first 10 minutes all I heard was new and got me thinking in a different and probably better way. Discussing chess positions with Mr Lance is very pleasing. He teaches me to think. I'm greatfull.

7) Jokefudge24

Excellent coach. When analyzing your games Lance can always point out your weaknesses and show you how to fix them. Very flexible in terms of time and the student's learning preferences. Would recommend.

8) schmorrell

I have studied with Lance for a year now. He is a fantastic coach and I recommend him very highly. He is very patient with his style and goes above and beyond to form a friendly relationship with his students. He is always willing to study what I am interested in and his high level of skill allows him to immediately home in on what I need to do to improve. He also has numerous studies that he has provided me and that we have worked on together.

9) ioxod

Lance5500 is a great chess coach. He is a kind and generous person, that will work with you on a personal level for a program specifically for your chess improvement. His price is extremely reasonable and he certainly gives a greater deal than I was expecting.

I recommend reaching out to him and hiring him as your coach. It will greatly improve your chess, and he is the kindest coach you'll ever have that truly cares about your progress.

10) AngryDragon1009

Truly an awesome and caring person on and off the board. Someone I would consider a coach and a friend. He explains things perfectly and I look forward to more lessons with him.

11) hairbeRt

He guided me along the way two years ago and I have found his very intuitive way of explaining positions very informative. I still consider him a good friend and he is extremely well-suited to get beginners on their feet!

12) sammy66

amazing coach

13) rnprejean

A great coach. I wasn't sure how much a coach could help more than practicing and studying on my own but I decided to try because I felt stuck. The game reviews really helped me to understand position way better than just the evaluation. and he's put a ton of work into lichess studies to go over an immense array of topics.

14) BauernWeisheit

soo good, such a beautiful person
Best Wingman
All the best, dear mr Lance!

P.S.: Marathon-Champ says it all.

Big hug, Bro

15) ChessDean749

Lance is a gifted teacher who wants the best for his students. When I first had a coaching session I didn't know the specific process Lance teaches so this means when you are coached you will have a certain way to think about Chess and over time you are trained to think like that. It's not easy and having a process is important but also how you go about it Lance has tons of material you will never be lacking in stuff to do. Lance coaching isn't just coaching and that's it he comes across as someone who genuinely wants you to do well in life.

16) matty20

It was a pleasure to work with Lance as my coach. We went over games and looked at concepts from games and positions that helped me see positions differently and it helped me improve a lot. We also played games and analyzed them to study my weaknesses. I was provided study material for improving on my own as well. Lance was very good at explaining concepts and answering my questions. I highly recommend Lance.

17) onlyTme

The way I improved was great I have to say you led me to a great leap from 1600 to 2100.
I have achieved alot of improvement thanks to you

18) juiceboxwizard

Best decision I made for improving in chess. Lance is a very professional and dedicated coach. I'm always amazed by what he knows and how fast he can calculate a difficult position. I learned to think of chess from a fundamental standpoint and could improve in each area of chess because I knew what my thought process should be and when I was making mistakes, I could identify and correct them

Thanks Lance!

19) Rhizo

Patient and knowledgeable, a great coach :)

20) GREGOR_9

Lance is a great coach. I took only a few classes, which allowed me to take my game to a new level. Lance is very good at noticing the entertaining aspects of the game and expounds in a very accessible form during lessons. In short, after classes, Lance helped to form my debut repertoire, taught me how to think at the chessboard, how to make strategic plans. Lance's coaching approach taught me how to improve my game myself.

21) zero64

I took a couple of lessons from Lance, of roughly around 4-5 hrs. In it, we reviewed my recently played-over-the-board tournament. We went through all the games. I showed the moves and the ideas that I had during the games. Lance then helped me review the games plus also suggested where my idea was dubious and what might be the better approach to the position. I found this very useful as I might forget small mistakes in the position but key ideas and concepts of the position have long-term effects.
So, I do recommend Lance for the chess session.
Thanks

22) professor_eggs

Lance is very patient, flexible, and methodical in his approach to coaching. Every lesson is enjoyable and tailored to your interests/specific needs (he is very good at identifying weaknesses). Very positive experience.

23) Cafedeschaakvriend

I liked the chess lessons with Lance. They helped me to improve my playing at club level. We discussed tactical and strategical principles, my own games, some of my favorite openings and a few difficult endgames, all tailored to my own playing style. Lance also correctly followed agreements and had a nice coaching style with lots of discussions. Above all, he was a very experienced chess player.

24) huskyyy

I have worked with Lance for quite some time and it is safe to say that he is an excellent coach and a person. I have made huge improvement at every aspect of the game when I worked with him. Whenever I have questions he is always there to answer. He has excellent material and advice on any part of the game phase.

25) EyeSeeEm

Lance is a fantastic coach. He teaches Chess in a very methodical and understandable manner. It allows you to build a solid framework for how to understand the game, and to quickly become stronger. Highly Recommended!

26) Niovol

Great coach. We trained various openings, in particular Sicilian Defence and Queen's Gambit. I liked playing matches with him when I had free time.

27) johannn

10/10 lance helped

28) Prince_of_Bismark

Very good coach, who have a lot of experience in chess and very good understanding of the chess, which he can bring to his students. With him I have learned the right thought process during the game of chess and also about the endgames strategy and pawns chains. He knows a lot about any aspect of the chess game. 10/10

29) global667

Very engaged and patient mentor with a lot of learn material for his pupils. He help me to understand chess better. Thanks Lance :)

30) aiki2

Outstanding mentor, abundance of knowledge on all aspects of the game. Willing to spend time explaining himself instead of just showing. A most for levels of students will learn so much. My rating has shot up over 200 points. Thank you Lance.

31) calcina

Lance is a great chess coach and is always available to answer questions and play games outside of our lessons. He is a great mentor and has your best interest at heart at all times. I have seen major results since working with Lance. I have gained 150 fide points thanks to the guidance from Lance. It is an honour to be a student of his.

32) thejohn74

I took some lessons with Lance and they were quite helpful. He is a strong player but also a good teacher and can break down a lot of the important principles for weaker players like me. He has a good system. It was helpful to go through my past games and have him show me where I have been going wrong, and helping to find the patterns in my games and where I can benefit the most. He is also a nice guy and lessons with him are fun. I'm sure he will help you take your game to the next level.

33) Osamodas

Very versatile coach. He can do a wide range of lessons with you, like tactics, where he will explain to you a technique to accurately and consistently find tactics, opening preparation, analysis of your games, simul against you etc ... .He can also do custom lessons tailored for yourself if you ask him. The quality of his lessons is also very high and he gives to you the advices that are aimed at your playstyle and your weakness. You can contact him at any time to get a quick feedback if needed. He is friendly and devoted to his students. Overall a great coach. Would recommend.

34) Sacrifice4Fun

I have been very satisfied with coach Lance. He has a great way of explaining the positional subtleties that are happening on the board and improve your understanding of the game. During my time of studying underneath him my positional sharply improved and I gained 200 rating in Blitz!

35) Sabinirex3

Lance is a coach that first of all helps you to understand the game, in terms of development, tempos, pieces value, king safety, forces superiority ect. He covers all of the theory related to game understanding. He also explains some of the basic checkmate patterns, tactical ideas, as well as basic endgame knowledge. Lance designs his courses according to your play style and your strenghts and weaknesses and recommends oppenings that fits your style. He is also available for instructional play, game analysis and oppening preps. Thanks to Lance and his lessons my progress was around 700 rating points in blitz and bullet game online.

36) Grandote

I had several lessons with Lance few years back, and I can definitely recommend him to others. His spoken instruction is clear and coherent, and I like his approach of going through several examples of a single concept in order to cement it in your mind. Homework and exercises he supplies are a big plus, and I also liked the fact that he is available throughout the week to answer questions. Can't go wrong with this coach! Highly recommended!

37) Game222

Lance is an amazing tutor. Before going to him, I was always stuck not knowing what move to make next. He helped me analyze the board (open position/closed position - and accordingly helped me learn whether its better to sacrifice the bishop or the knight), and taught me concepts like controlling the center, and gave me a framework I can use to analyze my games and board position. I got solid advice and lessons. He also went through my old games and was able to teach me where I was going wrong, and what kind of thinking I should have. Being coached by him helped me improve my game tremendously. You wont regret learning from this master.

38) JhonThoth

Mr. Lance is a nice and friendly tutor. His methodology is very useful and complete. His classes were very helpful in improving my discipline in thinking about each movement.

39) Stricknine

Lance is an exceptional chess coach. Instead of memorizing openings, he will teach you the fundamentals and correct thought process that can be applied in any situation.

40) avallon50

I am an Australian male chess player that has played on a
few internet platforms for many years.
Over a period from approx. 2007 to 2017 I engaged Lance on a
semi-regular basis for on-line chess lessons.
Lance always presented (on-line) as polite, honest,
courteous, friendly and very flexible to his client’s needs.

As well as having a deep mastery and understanding of the
game of chess, Lance was able to break down his extensive knowledge to clearly explain chess principles to lower rated players like myself.

Whilst he does have a proven methodology for teaching chess
to students, he is very happy to modify this program to what his client’s prefer.
Post lesson review and supply of games and key points via emailing
pgn’s, pictures and text were always prompt and very thorough.

I would highly recommended Lance as a gifted chess coach to
players of any strength level.

41) QueenOfB

Lance is a great teacher. He helps us understand the game rather than memorising it. He helps us find the best move not just the okay moves. Overall he is a great coach.

42) Zenchess

I have known lance since 2005 from the Internet Chess Club. He is a friendly, polite person that respects boundries. My lessons with him were highly interactive,
him showing me variations and asking if I agreed with his assessment of positions, and if not, we would explore the positions until I understood. He goes out of his
way to make sure you get the most out of the lessons, including saving the analysis of the lessons so I could look at it again later. He makes sure you are getting the kind of lessons you want and will adapt to your needs.
He's also incredibly strong. I've seen him do magic on the chess board and he's very tactically gifted, keeping almost on pace with my engine within seconds of analysis time.
I was not surprised when I found out years later that he had won some of the biggest events on Lichess multiple times.
I never felt like he was trying to squeeze every penny out of me, I could talk to him outside of lessons if I had a question.
Would recommend.

43) Checkmater47

Lance is an amazing teacher and a great person. Over years of lessons, my ratings have improved hundreds of points and my understanding of the game has greatly improved. Lance's teaching style is very adaptive and he takes a personal approach to find individual weaknesses.

44) XePie

Thank u Lance for keeping great lesson. Lance as a teacher is very dedicated and trying best that u'll see all opportunities u have in chess games. Very experienced coach that have personal approach.

45) PlatoPlays

Lance has an in depth knowledge and a very interesting concrete thought system that is understandable and resulted in a 200 elo rating increase within 2 weeks.
He seems a nice guy and was available within reason. As a beginner I learned a lot from Lance5500. All of his chess concepts I haven’t learned anywhere else.

46) sad000

In my experience, Lance has been an outstanding chess teacher. In addition to being friendly and easy to work with, his lessons were well planned out, and involved training games, reviewing games, and at my level, covering important fundamental concepts such as endgame theory. All his explanations were very clear and easily understood, and I always had a lot of valuable points to take away from my time with him as he made some ideas more explicit which are not always covered on youtube or on forums. Furthermore, he provides an enormous number of puzzles and studies, already integrated into Lichess for students to cover both in their own time and during lesson time. Overall, I would strongly recommend students consider working with Lance to improve their chess.

47) Kappuccino

Since I started training with Lance, my playing strength has greatly improved.

He is very flexible and knowledgeable. Lance is also very good at many types of lessons, my personal favorite is reviewing the games which I played. He can identify the tactics and strategical ideas very quickly and I always feel like I have learned something new after such a lesson.

If you are looking for a coach, I definitely recommend reaching out to him!

48) onepawn2few

I took lessons from Lance several years ago and it stood out that he always prompt and always prepared and an excellent coach. He is also amazingly nimble from my perspective. Something I've appreciated very much was that he was very quick in identifying my weaknesses and strengths and always had recommendations that focused on what we came across. In play Lance always had several alternative paths to show me when a situation presented itself. Lance is very personable and I appreciate all he has done for me.

49) ShadyToffeeBackup

I learnt a lot from my lessons with Lance, a very attentive and flexible coach who really personalises your lessons and isn't shy to let a student decide where to take a lesson. I found this really helpful in developing strengths and niches in certain openings and I wouldn't be where I was and am without Lance.

His lessons are comprehensive yet easily understandable and there was never a moment where I wasn't helped if ever I was unsure about something.

100% would recommend Lance as a coach, regardless of rating

50) Deepakdk

I have been playing chess for about 10 years now and Lance is truly the best coach that I have ever stumbled upon. His teaching methods are great and made in a way to match the individual needs of his students. Working with Lance gave a huge boost to my Chess understanding, so much that if given enough time I was able to spot the best moves in most positions based on the principles that we both went over in my lessons. If your aim is to play sound, logical chess instead of memorizing a bunch of opening theories (Which you can still learn with Lance if you wish) Lance is probably the best coach in town foe you as well.

51) ThatChessGuyRussell

Lance is, in my opinion, a great chess coach for 3 major reasons.

1) Knowledge. From Lance's chess achievements, it is clear that he understands the game of chess on both a deep level intellectually (which is needed for good teaching) and intuitively (which is needed for good play, especially at faster time controls). I believe this intuition is largely due to the second major reason:

2) Formulaic Process. Lance does not try to teach you 'abstractly' how to play chess, he presents to you a very clear and structured way of approaching the game that, if followed, Will Work Every Time, it is simply a matter of internalizing and recognizing these steps in a game.

3) Personality. Lance genuinely loves chess, loves teaching it to others, and cares about his students' progress. This comes across in his teaching and, combined with his knowledge and process, makes for a positive and very useful learning environment.

52) Sozary

I started to take chess classes because I think that we can learn a lot from people of experience.
Lance has helped me not just to clarify my game and strategies, but he also cared and took time to make sure I understood everything completely. Very friendly person and nice coach, I really enjoyed our chess sessions, and taking him as a teacher would be your next best move

53) nikonoel

I had a couple of long lessons with Lance over skype chat. We analyzed games and he shared an opening repertoire with me. He has a lot of knowledge about the game and types extremely fast. His advice is going to fly into your eyes before you can even blink! He is passionate about the the game and it shows.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.