lichess.org
Donate

chess is good for the mind

Chess is good for the mind because it is a game of thinking not just moving the piece anywhere you want plus when your sad or mad just play chess when i play chess it makes me feel better.
This has been a tenet since the games beginning. The World Champion Steinitz believed that this property was the real purpose of Chess.
@P7formula said in #2:
> This has been a tenet since the games beginning. The World Champion Steinitz believed that this property was the real purpose of Chess.

Thats why he became crazy, good example lol
@binjetzterstbeimArzt said in #5:
> He went nuts and said "i played chess with god and won". Or something like that.

Found this page on the subject of Steinitz and chess with God. I understand that after Lasker took his title, he was never the same.- :]
- ‘When the world champion Wilhelm Steinitz lost a match in 1896, he began to lose his mind, too. He believed that he could talk to people on an invisible telephone and waited around for it to ring. After he failed to make a comeback in an important tournament, he apparently claimed that, over his special telephone, he had beaten God at chess in spite of having generously given Him the advantage of the first move and the odds of a pawn.’

- www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/steinitzgod.html -
<Comment deleted by user>
This reminds me of that "why does it feel so good but hurt so bad" of that one song. Chess is cool yes, and may even effect our brain-health in a positive way, yes. But sometimes, I don't really feel like so. These tilts and stuff, thats certainly not good at all.
Could be just the online-gaming though, if you stick to OTB that may not happen as much or as severe.
@Skittle-Head said in #6:
> Found this page on the subject of Steinitz and chess with God. I understand that after Lasker took his title, he was never the same.- :]
> - ‘When the world champion Wilhelm Steinitz lost a match in 1896, he began to lose his mind, too. He believed that he could talk to people on an invisible telephone and waited around for it to ring. After he failed to make a comeback in an important tournament, he apparently claimed that, over his special telephone, he had beaten God at chess in spite of having generously given Him the advantage of the first move and the odds of a pawn.’
>
> - www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/steinitzgod.html -

That is hear say; and hyperbole. Unless he had to be hospitalized he isnt ill. No,

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.