lichess.org
Donate

Is declining takebacks rude?

Click your name, select preferences, go to Game Behaviour and it's in the third line
About the mouse slips, there is a way to safeguard yourself in lichess settings, but i only recommend it in classical. it is called Move confirmation, in Game behavior, in preferences
i have move confirmation turned on i consider blunders a learning experience and would actully preffer not to take them back since its harder to rememeber it if i do not feel the pain of the move i play 30+20 but that dosent meen i dont blunder chess is hard:)

abouth acepting take i always accept if promptet unless hes really mean want to win probely i consider the elo or what its called in chess to be a weapon for improving if im good enough to rise in elo i will
@Chessmates4ever said in #1:
> So I was playing chess just now and my opponent was the first to offer a takeback. I accepted and the game continued. When I offered a takeback because I blundered, they declined. I felt really bad about this and decided not to play.
>
> What do you think about this? Is it rude to decline a takeback, especially when your opponent accepted yours?

You've just described what happened in a previous game of mine and what lead to me disabling takebacks in rated games.
As noted by others, you can toggle whether or not takebacks are allowed. But seeing said settings a while back made me think about various scenarios that could occur.

-If someone proposes a takeback, it's sort of like pointing out a mistake to you.
-If there wasn't a proposed takeback, one wouldn't know for sure if something was a misdrop/misclick or a plan unless they examine and understand it. (Or it's really obvious)
-If you agree to a takeback and they don't or vice/versa, there can be some sore feelings since scenarios vary and people may have differing opinions on them.

So I ended up leaning towards just disabling takebacks on rated games while allowing takebacks on unrated games because rated is likely to be taken more seriously while unrated is likely to be more casual.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.