lichess.org
Donate

Have you ever played a game with the board flipped?

I am interested, let me know if you have ever tried to play a game with your board flipped (f) and play moves from the other side.
I certainly wouldn't want to play as white with white on top. When playing as black, I guess both options, i.e. "me on bottom" or "white on bottom as usual" make some sense but I usually prefered black on bottom. But eventually I ended up playing with a physical board anyway (with my pieces closer to me, of course).
yes, we glued the board to the ceiling and used velcro on the pieces. puts the "touch" in touch move.
With Lucas Chess I was able to play against myself.

Optional ...
Tab to Options
Select: Engines configuration.
Select: Tutor
Select: Disabled engine at the beginning of the game
Select: Close

Then ...

Step 1: Press Play
Step 2: Press Play human vs human
Step 3: Type names for the players
Step 4: Change the time controls
Step 5: Select Auto-rotate board
Step 6: Press Accept
Step 7: Press Continue

Analyse your game after.
@AyaanshGaur12 said in #1:
> I am interested, let me know if you have ever tried to play a game with your board flipped (f) and play moves from the other side.

yes but I can only do it with my right hand. I tried it in crazyhouse in particular. it's complicated to use both hands because the left holds the phone so the thumb doesn't go far... normally I play with both hands, so it's complicated to play with flip board
Playing the chess pieces from the opposite side of the chessboard is like parking a vehicle in reverse. The real difference is the car is ready to move forward, while the pawns are stuck in reverse. Once the pawns are all gone, the chessboard will feel normal. So it's the pawns that cause the chessboard to be orientated. If it was not for the pawns, the chessboard orientation would not matter.
@Toscani said in #6:
> Playing the chess pieces from the opposite side of the chessboard is like parking a vehicle in reverse. The real difference is the car is ready to move forward, while the pawns are stuck in reverse. Once the pawns are all gone, the chessboard will feel normal. So it's the pawns that cause the chessboard to be orientated. If it was not for the pawns, the chessboard orientation would not matter.
Yes, that's the challenge, sort of.
I haven't, but occasionally I do a quick board flip to get a better feel for what my opponent might be seeing and planning. Which is similar to getting up and looking over your opponent's shoulders in OTB play.
I did give the flipped challenge ago in Daily Hyperbullet Arena at 12 Februari 2024 lichess.org/tournament/cLAGOcc5
If i do the challenge it slows me down,mainly the scramble part is the difficult part and the move are a bit worse compare too when the board is not flipped since i'm not used to play this way.
So i guess if someone play blitz the main problem for the most while doing this challenge is that it is a bit more confusing to play this way but if one plays it in bullet and esp hyperbullet its both a bit more confusing and also tougher for scrambles.