lichess.org
Donate

Opening book for new players

One big difference is speed at which you can learn variations by heart. If it is easy does not hurt. Also amount of time matters on what sort of approach one can take.

As OP is really a beginner then actually something like:
exeterchessclub.org.uk/content/ten-rules-opening
is more appropriate. Games are rarely won/lost in the opening phase so learning how keep ones pieces safe way more important minimal amount opening study is way to go.
"... For young, inexperienced players, this attack [(1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Nf6 4 Ng5)] is ... not easy to defend. I've seen this position appear hundreds of times in junior games, and Black often goes astray immediately. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the player with the black pieces losing a rook, or even worse! ... even after [the good move, 4...d5,] Black has to be very careful. ... for now I'm going to recommend [3...Bc5]. ..." - GM John Emms (in the 2018 book, First Steps: 1 e4 e5)
www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/7790.pdf
Seems to me that it can be helpful to remember advice like that.
I also play 3... Bc5. The move 3.. Nf6 is hard to defend. Even the lines from MCO book white seems to be of advantage.
@johnsamps0n said in #1:
> Is there a good book that presents openings and also explains the thought process behind every move step by step?

If the focus should be on the thought process behind opening moves I would recommend videos about openings and not books: Explanations in videos tend to be longer than text in books.

I often recommend the Youtube channel "Hanging Pawns" for this purpose: There are good videos about all openings. Here is an example link

www.youtube.com/watch?v=impkeLfyyVM
Sorry no Opening book for you right now as you need like you said Move by Move books that explain everything in Complete Games . Your first book should be Logical Chess Move by Move by Irving Chernev alongside Chess Fundamentals by J R Capablanca @johnsamps0n You are a new player who should be going through complete games move by move
@ThunderClap said in #18:
> Sorry no Opening book for you right now as you need like you said Move by Move books that explain everything in Complete Games . ... @johnsamps0n You are a new player who should be going through complete games move by move
The 2018 book, First Steps: 1 e4 e5, seems to me to be an example of a book that goes through complete games nearly move by move.
I see no reason to refrain from calling it an opening book. I suppose that, for some, it might be a good idea to first read Discovering Chess Openings.
web.archive.org/web/20140627114655/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen91.pdf
@ThunderClap said in #18:
> ... Chess Fundamentals by J R Capablanca @johnsamps0n ...
"... 'Chess Fundamentals' ... does not deal so minutely as this book will with the things that beginners need to know. ..." - from Capablanca's A Primer of Chess
web.archive.org/web/20131010102057/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review564.pdf
www.amazon.com/Chess-Fundamentals-Jose-Capablanca/dp/0999319450?asin=0999319450&revisi&format=4&depth=1
@Move_In_Silence_2024 said in #16:
> [After 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4,] I also play 3... Bc5. The move 3.. Nf6 is hard to defend. Even the lines from MCO book white seems to be of advantage.
"... So far we've studied the Italian Game with 3...Bc5, ... 3...Nf6 is the move we'll consider in this chapter. This opening is known as the Two Knights Defence. ... I recommend 3...Bc5 instead of 3...Nf6 to young players who have just started to learn chess openings. However, the Two Knights Defence is a sound opening, with many exciting lines, and it becomes a good choice once you have gained more experience in chess. ..." - GM John Emms (in the 2018 book, First Steps: 1 e4 e5)