lichess.org
Donate

Tournament Etiquette

What is considered good etiquette at tournaments? I'm not meaning basic respect for people but things specifically involved with chess tournaments.

I'm considering playing a tournament in a few months and I do not have much tournament experience.
Do not speak to high voice if someone is still playing. Using all time is a right also of your opponent. While you are playing, never speak to your opponent (unless for draw offer). After and before the game, give to opponent the hand.Even if not required, a minimum of dress code etiquette is accepted (example, if u play near sea no go to play with costume of beach). If opponent like to analyze postmortem if u have time accept it and analyze your game together.
@Schmoe
Don't be petty.
For example, I was once playing in a tournament and I quickly adjusted my piece after I hit my clock, even saying "I adjust.". My opponent stopped the clock, raised his hand, and called over the tournament director to take time off me because I touched the board on my opponent's time.
Like seriously, chill out.
Make sure you turn off the sound on your clock. If your clock is the kind that beeps, trust me when I say there is almost nothing more annoying than hearing intermittent beeping noises from other boards over the course of your game. Also, please hit your clock gently and quietly, especially if it is not yours.
It is not obligatory to announce "check", but if you do, please do so quietly. Always announce "checkmate". Do so quietly.
If you want to spectate another game, do not stand too close to the board. It's uncomfortable for the players.
ALWAYS sit down while you are playing. It's irritating to your opponent for you to be standing.
If I think of anything else I'll post more.
do not be disrespectful, dont do noises, never play with the pieces.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.