lichess.org
Donate

How do you keep from being humiliated after losing a game and just dropping chess altogether?

@Juuuustout said in #1:
> Short story: The first time I tried to play was when I was 10. I played an adult and lost in a fool's mate. 2 moves... game over. I never felt so stupid in my life. And to this day, it haunts me.
> I want to play games but I am forever unable to forget how absolutely foolish I felt after losing that game. And to this day, I believe it keeps me from engaging fully in learning how to play.
> I try but it just does not feel right... like I just don't belong to this game.
> So.... how do you recover from this?

Chess is a difficult but interesting game.
When you are first starting out, your job is NOT to *WIN* but to *IMPROVE*. And you improve by losing.
You probably never saw a fools' mate before. Now you have. And since you have, you already improved since you will never let that happen to you again ,right? :)

The best way to learn chess, after you know all the moves, is to start with "beginner basics" (move pawn in the center, move knights to f3 and c3, move bishop to a safe square, and castle), and to learn about tactics and threats and hanging pieces. It is EXTREMELY important to do training on this.

You must be able to see what is attacked by the enemy, to "count" a piece or pawn that is attacked "X" of times and defended "X-1" number of times (which means it is "improperly defended") --UNLESS-- a piece of LOWER VALUE is defending a piece that is attacked by pieces of HIGHER VALUE---easy example: His Queen (9 points, on a diagonal) and TWO of his Rooks (5 *2 points=10 points) attacks your Rook (5 points), that is defended by two pawns on each side of the rook (1 point * 2=2 points).

it is easy to see that your rook is well defended, because if he takes the rook, your pawn will recapture, and be defended by another pawn.

But let's say your knight is attacked by a bishop and a knight and only defended by your bishop. That knight is improperly defended and will be lost unless it moves or is defended. (Pawns tend to make the best defenders as they are only 1 point).

You have to watch out for CHECKS every move, as well as pieces that are NOT DEFENDED BY ANYTHING ("HANGING" pieces).
But you also have to do the same thing for your opponent also.

There are many good beginner books that will help train you with this. Do not lose hope.

Good luck.
@kindaspongey said in #9:
> "... most people do not like to lose games, and take defeat badly. This is not right. People who want to improve should take their defeats as lessons, and endeavour to learn what to avoid in the future. ..." - Capablanca

easy for him to say :)
One needs to calm themselves and give them much needed break for sometime. Later, one can try getting back to where they were and practising and making their mind not divert to such things. If really unable, maybe the particular sport is not for them. There are lots of other sports, maybe God scripted some better sport for them.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.