lichess.org
Donate

Bring back 15+15 Classical!

No, it's not?
Just the same you can make the argument that 2+1 is more serious than 3+0, or 5+3 more serious than 10+0.
Even if that were true, that doesn't make it strange.
As I have said elsewhere 15 + 15 was my time control of choice while watching TV - time to make a coffee or answer the phone or doorbell. Everyone seemed to play quickly anyway.

However happy to migrate to one of the new options.

15+10 is a classic norm that our club rapid play tournaments use so change makes sense.

The problem with the 30 + 20 time control is its a bit too long if you do bump into a thinker and very few seem to be playing games at this time control anyway so why not keep 15+15 as classical.
@CrowChess 15+15 still IS classical, you just have to open a Lobby for it, rather than having a Quickmatch button. "Obviously", having buttons for both 15+10 and 15+15 is a bit silly.

@Patralgan What makes you so sure of this? There's a reason 15+10 is used for the World Rapid. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen 20+10 anywhere, so I'm entirely lost how you land at that conclusion. Slower Rapid events (which are pretty rare, but do exist) tend to go for 25+10..
Our annual Rapidplay over the board is 25+5 but we have thought about changing to 20+10 retaining the approx 1 hour per match. The point is that there are many 'standards' which makes it quite difficult to decide the mode of play when entering all these different time controls.
The way I would probably fill this grid:

1+0 bullet
2+1 bullet
3+0 blitz
3+2 blitz
5+0 blitz
5+3 blitz
10+0 rapid
10+10 rapid
15+15 classical
30+0 classical
30+30 classical

That is, if you insist on having 11 options instead of 8. If we're going with 8 (fine with me), leave out 2+1, 5+3 and 30+0.
I say leave things as they are. 30+0 is literally the same amount of time as 15+15 . Why cant people just play 30+0? ;P the increment is dumb in my subjective opinion. I always hated increments (too complicated for me). I just want a real value of my time to keep things simple. That is why I play a lot of 5+0. :P hehehe
Also 15+15 is a secret way to boost your rapid rating if you are bad at rapid chess.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.