lichess.org
Donate

Any game longer than 300 moves adjudicated as a draw?

Above Ultragame - Wow! I can not understand how people can move so many moves in just 2x15 sec. Maybe there was lag which delayed each move?

About trolling when reaching move number 301:
Dont forget that the losing side could resign anytime he wants.
Dont forget that playing "only" 300 moves (and not 301) is not trolling at all. It is only trolling at move 301.
Dont forget that the winning side might finish the game faster (measured in time, not in moves) if he plays 300 moves. If you dont think so, above ultragame is an example that this doesnt require massive time.

Getting a rating punishment is not the usual way of punishment, nor is it correct to fiddle with rating at all, because it indirectly affects all players in the rating pool.
Instead, if trolling is detected, the correct punishments can only be: temporary ban, or total ban, depended on how severe the trolling is.
I'd say, you misinterpret the reason why there is a 301 move rule in place. It is not about trolling, but was a quick fix for a bug that happened around move 655 or so.
Why are we still here?

Almost 150 posts and people are still arguing, can't you just leave this issue alone? Developers have already seen this and it's clear no change is coming, so what are you still here for? ._.
"Why are we still here? Almost 150 posts and people are still arguing" (and such a comment is one of those 150)

"This is nonsense forum topic indeed." (and another wants to add to the posts but has nothing to say)

My answer (which is post number 144): Here, little trolls, eat and shut up.
<°))))><
back to the topic:

Yes, both players could be punished. The losing side could have resigned any time, so can avoid 301 moves if he likes to avoid the punishment. The winning side can not force a check mate, but could have chosen to wait a few minutes until his opponent lets his time run out. If lichess would act as it tells it does, then a player who lets his time run out would get a temporary ban, and thus it is similar a similar outcome: both players wait. However, practically, lichess hardly bans people for letting their time run out. Guess, the latter is a topic for another thread, though.

Let's be honest...nowadays nobody would play until move 300.I think it is just quite dumb idea.To troll opponents,it would be enough with just 200 moves to make a complicated win :))
Well, this thread is about people who play 301 moves. To reach 301 moves, both players need to move.

As said, the winning side can not force check mate, but the losing side could resign any time or stop playing anytime and let his time run out.
This is getting annoying, so let me put it to you bluntly: Everyone is against you. Who else here do you see being against the 301 move rule? You're alone and feeding an argument that you can't possibly win. If not for you this discussion would probably have ended around post 20. And for what? What point are you trying to make?

Is your point that there should be a warning at move 250 about the draw? If that's your point, then the point is well taken. I'm sure almost everyone here agrees that a warning would be good. So at least that doesn't need any more arguing.

So what's your second point? It seems to be that when the other side is losing they should resign, that it's not you who should do the checkmate. Well even a superficial look at chess proves you wrong in that matter. "The objective of chess is to checkmate the opponent's king." The objective is not to make the other player resign. If you're good enough to checkmate, show it, otherwise accept the draw.

How about you go to a real chess club and play a 300 move game? I'm sure it won't be the other player who will be the "laughing stock", but you. The bored people around you won't be saying "Come on, resign the game!". They will be saying "Come on, checkmate him!".

Now, Lichess moderators, please archive this, Lichess discussions should be helpful and meaningful but this discussion only has the same points reiterated over and over without adding anything to them or responding to opposing points. This has gone on for long enough, the user who originally made this thread doesn't even care about this anymore.

And Munich, go be a troll if that's what you like, but stop trying to convince others that what you do is not wrong; you're wearing out your keyboard in vain.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.