lichess.org
Donate

what can be done to achieve a 50% male to female ratio in the top 100 in chess/on lichess?

@Gambl0r I only post that to point out that you weren't following your own advice.

Due to the slash in the title, I inferred that he was including IRL chess with this site (and I extended that to all online sites). However, my statement in post #22 about the different treatment of the different genders on streams in still valid.

@Stockfish_Level-0 Regarding post #26: Although the company line is there, it normally isn't enforced when it can be avoided. The only reason that it isn't a fiasco like the civil rights movement is that everyone has a mother.
You can play better chess and overthrow the 99% male ratio (in bullet) (It is not that women are inferior or something, it is just that there is a reason why WGM is in between IM and FM). Some male privilege doesn't determine people's ratings.
@jonesmh I accept that I didn't post sources, but I think it's reasonable to expect that the majority of users on this forum – if not all of them – follow chess to some extent. Therefore I wouldn't deem it unreasonable to assume that they would already be aware of who the Women's Chess World Champion is. Perhaps where she sits on the ratings list is less well known? Regardless, my statement is easily sourced through a quick Google search. OP's statement is unsubstantiated. I spent a good half hour looking for information about it and found almost nothing. Fair play to you for pointing out the discrepancy, but I don't think the two instances are comparible.

As for internet streams being filled with lecherous trolls who mistreat female streamers, that's not a problem exclusive to chess. For that reason, I don't think it is a valid argument. Certainly not a valid argument for why there are fewer female chess players anyway. I think it's a more general problem which needs addressed by Twitch and YouTube and the like.

Anyways, neither of those points are that important in the grand scheme of things. I was asking you about your ideas for how to improve female representation at the highest level in our sport. Did you come up with anything?
i don't think gender has to be an issue in every subject today.. I think more men play chess more frequently than women do. Figure most people after high school tend to be very busy especially in college/career years then you gotta figure some of them get pregnant and well chess takes a huge backseat. I really don't care who my opponent is as long as they give me an interesting game and that i do the same a rarity these days.. also figure that among all male chess players the top 100 are the cream of the crop very rare to find that even of men.. also factor in how many years it takes to get good at chess.. it takes a while like if your not playing by the time you learn your alphabet your probably not gonna be in the top 100
Wait around about 75 - 100 years and it will happen. At World Open last year 3 of my 8 opponents were female, two of them under 15 years old. They are coming along.
It's sort of like why the US can't produce many world class football players (soccer I mean of course). There has to be a vast deep subculture, and that has barely begun to build for girls as chess players.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.