lichess.org
Donate

So, you're a player somewhere around 1400 and you're looking for advice...

Can I do this? I'd rather not use skype and my mic, maybe I could share my thought processes through the chat?
I think you need to put ratings in proper perspective. I have a ~1400 blitz rating here and a ~1650 classical. I have a ~1550 25+10 rating on ICC. I'm a 1660 rapid on ChessTempo. So, are we to deduce that I'm around a 1500 FIDE rating? Perhaps...but most likely not. None of my ratings above are in legitimately classical time controls. They're all established at rapid and blitz time controls.

Now, for me - I only play better when the game gets longer. I'm best at legitimately classic time controls. For a lot of players, especially younger players, this is not the case. A lot of internet only players have never played a truly classical game of chess and would find themselves positionally and strategically lost by move 15. As a result, their 1500-1600 blitz rating here on Lichess might translate to a less than 1200 FIDE classical. If that. It all needs to be put into proper perspective.

I know for a fact that the USCF is far softer than FIDE. I probably am around a 1500 in the USCF now, if not higher. I was hanging with guys around that rating 2 years ago OTB and since then, I've played hardly at all until last month and I'm better now than ever. That said, I know the 1500 USCF players I'm referring to couldn't hang with 1400 FIDE players. I've seen both. The latter is far, far more organized, strategic, and creative in longer time controls. A lot of the guys in the USCF have also established ratings at nothing but rapid time controls. No games with 60+ min on the clock to start. Further, they largely use delay rather than increment in the USCF. I'm far, far better with an increment. Other players would be different. So, it's very difficult to just look at one's online ratings and deduce where they really stand in the world of FIDE.
Hey there @CoffeeAnd420!

I understand your thoughts on ratings and how they might be extremely subjective, I agree.

Nonetheless, as long as you're improving your chess and learning new things the rating shouldn't be a limitation, people from 1000 to 2000 (Lichess) found the videos and lessons useful, people somewhere around 1600- 1700 (chess.com) as well... you get the idea.

1400 is just a middle ground, not to be taken extremely seriously.

Bests,

Paul.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.