lichess.org
Donate

My persistence to reach 2100

I was trying to reach 2100 here at lichess, but my RD is 50 and I only get 7 or 6 points per win. But after about 50 games I got it !!!

I've gotten close many times but always missing 2 wins i lost 3 instead... lol

I'm probably overrated (considering the absurd effort I've had). Perhaps my natural rating is around 1950 ~ 2000. But who cares, I can take a picture, frame it, and never play again! lol
Congrats bro. How long did it take you to reach this? Not on lichess, in overall chess development. What's your secret?
@billy_ombima

Thanks...

Although I am not an experienced player (coach, live tournaments, you know...), I played about 80,000 games on FICS\chess.com\lichess.org.

For all these years I've been reading one thing there, another here. I always enjoyed playing through Kasparov's games. Many of my current ideas are from these games.

I'm not a disciplined guy, so I've never read an entire book, but I've read a few pages of almost every famous book.

So what's the secret? For my current level I think there is no secret or technique. Any person with normal intelligence, sooner or later, will reach my level.

All you have to do is stay in the 'environment' of chess. A video here, an article there, a comment there ... I call it 'chess culture'.

A concrete example: Let's say you someday read (or some friend tells you) that a endgame 'bishop + pawn vs alone king' is draw if that pawn was the 'wrong pawn'. That information is interesting, you like it and you learn it. In this case, consider years and years learning that little informations, in some moment your brain will make conections and you reach the next level...

Now, if you dont want wait for 10 /15 years, there is methods/tecniques which focus in hard work. For example, in 1 or 2 years reading Yusupov's trainning books you can reach A category (1800~2000) or even expert level (2000~2200) for sure.

PS:

learning chess is like learning a second language, progress is not noticeable until it is. This is because the brain needs to make a certain amount of connections until the information learned is useful. Then it can happen that someone stays for a long time on a level and after receiving the key piece in the brain he improves 200 points.

-> Remember that the process of information absorption can be improved both in speed and quantity.
Thanks for the tips @will_is_myth am currently reading Yusupov''s Build up Your Chess 1....and yes 1800 is my ultimate target....I will take your advice. Yusupovs book is easy to read. Especially since I have the pgn of all the games in the book.
I have read only two chapters of this book (there are 24 for each book, and 9 books). I didn't like the method because it fit the hard work method. I'm a lazy guy and prefer to learn by 'osmosis'. It's severely slower, but it's fun. I always liked annotated games and without much analysis (prioritizing explanatory texts). I don't like to study chess like math, tiring my brain with all those exercises. But it sure is the most effective method!
What is the difference between Build up your chess, Boost up your chess and Chess evolution ?
@Thengel

that books are

Build, Boost, Evolution
Fundamentals, Beyond the basics, Mastery
orange, blue, green
level 1, level 2, level 3
Father, son, Holly Spirit (ok, i'm joking now lol)

You need study all fundamentals/orange first, then you read all beyond basics/blue and finally mastery/green.

In each level you read 'build up' then 'boost' then 'evolution'.

www.qualitychess.co.uk/docs/14/artur_yusupovs_awardwinning_training_course/

Conceptually these names and this division take into account 'spiral' teaching. You learn in form of a spiral that always seems to return to the same point, but always a little deeper (maybe a little 'high' to maintain the analogy lol) in each pass.
It's fascinating to think about how learning about backwards pawns on Monday, finally having a chance to apply that lesson on Friday, and then repeating that lesson any time the opportunity arises, until it becomes concrete, is worth about an extra win every 50 games, where you wouldn't have played the same without that information and understanding.

Winning only 1 extra game every 50 games is not a lot.
You can't possibly notice that due to the inevitable 5-10 game losing streaks in between wins sometimes.

But when you start pairing that with ideas of good bishops, king safety, KP endings, RP endings, out-posted knights, opening fundamentals, queen activity, basic opening theory, pawn structures, initiative, tempo, fighting kings, etc., all of a sudden you go from winning 1 extra game every 50 games, to winning 1 in 5 extra games.

Chess plateaus are fascinating to me...I absolutely abhor them...but breaking into the next level always makes the grind worthwhile.

*Congrats with on your achievement Will!*

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW68goC4_es
Yeah congratulation ! @will_is_myth

And well said @Onyx_Chess I do love your statement

"Winning only 1 extra game every 50 games is not a lot.
You can't possibly notice that due to the inevitable 5-10 game losing streaks in between wins sometimes.

But when you start pairing that with ideas of good bishops, king safety, KP endings, RP endings, out-posted knights, opening fundamentals, queen activity, basic opening theory, pawn structures, initiative, tempo, fighting kings, etc., all of a sudden you go from winning 1 extra game every 50 games, to winning 1 in 5 extra games.

Chess plateaus are fascinating to me...I absolutely abhor them...but breaking into the next level always makes the grind worthwhile."

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.