lichess.org
Donate

I have been stuck at 1400 in USCF rating for a few months, what should I do so I can improve?

For a few months, I have been stuck at 1400, witnessing everyone I know get to a higher point, or others who are lower get to my rating. I am not jealous of them, but I just want to be able to that to. For improving I am kind of clueless on what I should do, because right now my training consists of analyzing classics, doing tactics, playing practice games and analyzing my tournament games but I haven't seen substantial improvement from that. Instead I keep lingering at my current rating, and I want to get to 2000 by the end of this year. It may seem overly ambitious, but I am determined to do so. If you can suggest any books, areas to train on, or just general things I can do, please tell them to me, because I will do ANYTHING to become 2000 by the end of this year.
I’ve been studying for 19 years and just below 2000. It is a massive leap unless you played chess since 4 and one or both of your parents are grandmasters.

Looking for progress? Ask these questions..

1. How do you win (tactics, strategy, opening blunder etc..)
2. How do you lose games? The same ideas in the first question insert here ().

Being 2000 is a good goal for the future. I wish I would have cherished the great achievements I made rather than just trying for one rating point. It’s an empty feeling at the top. Also could you describe what attributes a 2000 player has vs a 1750 or 1400 player have?
To become 2000 in a few years would mean you need to PLAY OTB about 80 games a year AT Least just to gain 600 points USCF , HOWEVER YOU need to LOOK at Chess Books Chess Videos & Study chess as well' to Improve your Chess . @BrilliantMoveStorm To become 2000 in One Year Isn't s0mething that happens OTB UNLESS you are already that strong . A gain of 200 points a year over a 5 year period from Provisional 1255 is what I did many years ago in the 1980s from 1983 - 1988 & THAT was considered quite a bit'
The most gifted player I ever knew personally gained 514 USCF points in 3 years...so good luck on jumping 600 in one year. ;) The real question though is: why one year? Did you make a bet with somebody? It's difficult enough to improve without forcing yourself into some sort of timetable.

And incidentally, a few months is nothing. You're only "stuck" if you've been around the same rating for a year or two...back when I was still improving, I once took an entire year to go from 1620 to 1634.
10 months to go
Have you done some quick calculations?

For example, how many tournaments can you join per month?
And then, let's say you win ALL games in the tournaments you think you can join, would that still give you 600 points by end of year?

Not sure how uscf calculates K, but I've looked at Hans previous fide ratings progress, even the tournaments/months he did really well, the best points climbed was only about 30. Assuming one can do that every month, 10 good months would only give 300. And that's a big big if.

Unrealistic goals would only lead to frustration.

As for improving itself, you might need a coach to point you to the right direction.
Watch Hikaru's youtube videos and you'll jump up with your rating!
httpscolon//lichessperiodorg/kyASNp7l (March 6, 2024)

Maybe some rash decisions: 22 c4 (after ~13 seconds), 23 Qb3 (after ~8 seconds), 30 Ke3 (after ~0 seconds), 39 Kg4 (after ~7 seconds)
I was stuck in the 1400s for several years. Progress is certainly possible, but it takes time as well as effort.
@BrilliantMoveStorm said in #1:
> For a few months, I have been stuck at 1400, witnessing everyone I know get to a higher point, or others who are lower get to my rating. [...] and I want to get to 2000 by the end of this year.

2000 UCF imho is just unrealistic, as described before - but it's up to you you to accept this or not.

Here are some videos that may point you to the (probably) right direction:

lichess.org/forum/general-chess-discussion/how-do-you-keep-from-being-humiliated-after-losing-a-game-and-just-dropping-chess-altogether#5

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.