lichess.org
Donate

How should I think about breaking 1200 in Blitz

So, I am having trouble breaking 1250 in blitz. I find myself sometimes getting there and then losing some games due to really bad blunders. For you stronger players out there, is there any trick, tactic etc. that I should do to get past this? Thanks.
Play more rapid games. blitz will follow. If you only want to play blitz then at least do lots of tactics and play lots of games
I have the same problem, but in rapid. I posted this so I sould subscribe to this forum thread. Don't mind me.
warmup before you play. play some casual games and warm up. also always watch out for enemy threats and try to blunder less
As someone who recently broke 1250 pretty decisively and is now 1350ish, I'd say the key was practicing puzzles and tactics and really analyzing what the best move was rather than just giving a gut reaction. Develop your pieces and don't take exchanges as often which will allow you to set up more complicated attacks. That, and always analyzing each game I lost and finding the part that went wrong and trying to learn from it. Do those 3 things and you'll be breaking 1300 in no time.
@rayrudraray17 play some slow time control games and to stop premoving in blitz. A lot of the games i saw , your opponent blundered and you failed to take advantage of it. Remember, when you're making a move, think why your opponent made his move.
Well, if you keep your w/l/d ratio like that, you will go up, no matter what. I have seen a couple of games. You just move too fast in positions where you have to calculate, and when you follow up the obvious move, you dont spot it, because you didnt calculated it.

You dont play bad for your level. The thing is that, well, due to the nature of blitz, you kinda have to move fast sometimes, and if you have no theoretical preparation, you have to think earlier than you should (because you should be just vomiting theory most of the times, to a point, say 10 moves deep) and thus, losing on time.

So, i have 3 suggestions.
1.-If you want to reach higher rating on blitz, i suggest you do arm yourself with a couple of openings according to the most popular responses. That way, you can reach a playable position at move 10-15, and still have around 4:30 in the clock, so you can spend a bit of time thinking without being on time trouble at mid game. (And have general knowledge of what you are actually pursuing, not just winging it).

2.- Just about among the lines. Just remember, you are not playing against the clock, you are playing against another human. Its worse to lose to a human than to the clock. Play against your opponent even if you have to spend your time thinking. There is no point of having 3 minutes to spare by moving fast, but you have a losing position already. Its better to have a winning position with 30 seconds on the clock. Obviously its better if you convert it to a w, but if not, you are actually becoming a better player because you are getting advantages. You will see the benefits on larger time controls.

So, when reaching a position with no clear advantage, or when you dont have a plan to get an advantage, use your time for what it is supposed to be. To think on an attack/defense plan and calculate the outcome. When you calculate, you can spit your next 2-5 moves, but if you move without calculation, you have to stop and think on just about any response, and you will get a worse position because you didnt calculate any ramifications anyways, or risk a blunder for responding fast

And 3.- Dont move just because its your turn. Think on a plan and all the moves should align to the cause. i saw a couple of purposeless moves when you had material enough to actually advance a plan of attack. By doing a move that has no purpose and dont aid you, you are allowing your opponent to have counterplay. A slow move that furthers your plans is bad, but still better than a move that doesnt do a thing for your plans, if you have any to begin with. Those kind of meaningless moves appear always when you have no idea what you are supposed to do. When you have no moves on mind, there is when you stop and think. Even if you just end up with a 4 move maneuver to reposition a knight. A slow plan is better than no plan.

You are not a bad player, your issue is not exactly about technique or knowledge, your tactics are good enough, its about time management. You worry too much on the clock that you move too fast. I honestly dont see a reason, aside the trigger happy blunders for you having that rating. you should be around 1500, maybe more, but def not less.
If you lost 2 consecutive games, have a break of 30 minutes or more. Trying to regain points lost results to more points losses. There is tomorrow.
Some times to raise your ratting it takes hard work. However to get over 1200 one big thing is about stopping blunders. One way is to force yourself to think more. At first it may be hard under time pressure. But if you play more rapid/classical then blitz will get better to. You will be able to think about it more without losing to much time. In summary play Rapid/Classical. And the clock is not your enemy. I would wather lose a game to the clock in a winning position then to lose in a loosing position but not run out on time

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.