The Road to Chess Mastery - Max Euwe
Chess Fundamentals - Jose Raul Capablanca
My System - Aron Nimzowitsch

Also game collections:

My 60 Memorable Games - Bobby Fischer
Botvinnik: One hundred selected games - Mikhail Botvinnik
Life and Games of Mikhail Tal - Mikhail Tal
My Best Games of Chess 1908-1923 & 1924-1937 - Alexander Alekhine

Play through any game collection book on a real board or on the computer but better on a real board and just read through the notes and try and absorb all the positions. If you wonder why a certain move was played try and figure it out but just playing through the games will help.
Faça ao menos 20 exercicios taticos por dia, as partidas que vc jogar vai em analizar e use a ferramenta aprenda com seu erros e com os do adversario! acredito que tudo te levará ao sucesso brevemente!
Thanks all for the suggestions much appreciated i will clearly read a couple of books suggested and from there start doing tactics
I really don't understand advices like #13 :(
@GMScuzzBall even genius world champions liked to read good chess books in hes youth. Do you think doing countless tactics you will ever understand basic/advanced positional ideas of chess?
Reading good books (like the list in #11) can help a lot! They was written by best chess players/trainers to help you to improve if you have no personal coach or a higher rated friend around you.
Of course doing tactics, playing many OTB games, post mortem analyzing your own games are all important also.
@gbtami goal was 2000 not 2200. Tactics would take you long way towards it. Yes you do need to know something about strategy but if never lose a piece in tw move combo and allways spot one you are alreaydy way above average.
@njuguna i am also like you but the only difference is i want to reach 2000 otb at the end of 2018 i am going to give you some tips that worked for me first of all if you are young you should spend some more time doing tactics and play 1.e4 because 1.d4 leads to a very positional game and its always very tough to develop good positional understanding secondly health plays a huge role in chess if you will be in top condition you will be automatically able to focus more and have u played in any fide tournament before? if No you should take help from a good coach because first fide tournament is important and on your own you wont be able to do very well because fide rated players are tough to beat you should play slow games and analyse very deeply or atleast try to analyse deeply it helps in improvement alot and if you want a book on very tough tactics and another book about critical moments DM me your email i will send you these books one more thing that i forgot to add is that instead of learning opening moves study structures arising from those openings its usually a much better approach than cramming some moves.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.