Boylston Chess Club
The club was formally organized on August 27, 1919 at the YMCU. There were 22 charter members, and Augustus Seaver was elected as the first Club President. In its history, many leading chess figures have been Club President, including Master Emeritus Harry Lyman. In 1945, the club received charter number 51 from the newly formed United States Chess Federation.
In 1989, facing sharply increased rent and deteriorating facilities, the Boylston Chess Club moved to the 8th floor of the YWCA at 140 Clarendon St. in Boston. The club was incorporated as a Massachusetts non-profit corporation in 1995. In December 2003, the YWCA's building renovation plans forced the club to move to a new home in Davis Square, Somerville.
The Boylston Chess Foundation -- the 501(c)(3) organization -- was founded in 2005.
The Boylston Chess Club and Foundation is not just a historic club from the 19th century, but also a flourishing chess center in 21st century Boston and one of the most active clubs in the nation. Since 1991, the Boylston has organized more than 2000 rated chess tournaments.
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts