lichess.org
Donate

Share your cool Chess960 games here for discussion or analysis

I guess I can share a game where I lost so I don't just have a computer's opinion.
Any advice on how I can improve from here?
Thanks!
Posting/Analyzing a game u ve lost is even better than the ones u won, cuz u can learn more about where to improve. Great decision.

It seemed like opening went quite well for you, especially when your opp helped you with unproductive moves like Bh6 and back, basically ur opp provoked you to a kingside attack. It all went smoothly for you until a tactical error like Nxe5, which required a precision in calculation. You could have gotten it right and won the game and moved on. But then a very very important strategical point you have missed in the opening would stay undiscovered: You played the whole game almost like queen down!

I think your biggest take-away from this game should be that you should always make considerations about how to bring ur queen into your game as early as possible. This doesnt mean make a move with it, but simply open the lines and diags as early as possible for it so it can enter the game whenever necessary. Your opponent didnt take much of advantage of this, in fact suffered from the same, but in the end white was the one to bring queen into game first and it was a decisive moment.

Hope it helps a bit.
Also, I have a question.

I looked over my losses and found out that a lot of them are decided by some sort of blunder in time trouble. I often spend a ton of time formulating my plan in the opening and then have no time for the rest of the game. Do you have any advice on how to figure out a reasonable plan in the opening quickly so there is time to spend on more crucial parts of the game?
The concrete advice i can give, i ve written in my blog: lichess.org/@/visualdennis/blog/my-ultimate-guide-to-chess960/de25UOqM in the Vision Technique Chapter, also Chapter "Part Two: Observations and Conclusions" in nine-sixty.netlify.app/parttwo.html could be related and helpful. I don't have much to add to what i've written there.

As for general advice, there is simply no shortcuts, you should maybe play lots of games in slower time controls, so you have time to think properly about how to handle opening. For something to become a second nature or a part of your subconsciousness, it has to be experienced consciously first, so by thinking and figuring out plans in a slower-time context in repetition will result in becoming familiar with those with time and you'll be able to recognise patterns much more quickly, basically becoming a faster intuitive player. Hope it helps, good luck.
OK, I'll join your conversation as well.

One of my berserk "games of sacrifices" yesterday was almost successful, but I was not able to find the right way to checkmate in 6 moves within 11 seconds to the end of the game. You can try to do it yourself: what should have been the 21st move for Black and what was the mate? There's only one move to 100% mate (hint, there's more sacrifice :D ).

// No need to write the answer here, you can just solve the puzzle if you want.

These are not my games, but I liked them when I watched them during the last Monthly Chess960 Arena lichess.org/tournament/7NhKfjVm

The first game is about some sacrifices with maneuvering.

The second game is about how things can end quickly in Chess960, and move 1. e4 can be a blunder :D

@FischerRandomChess cool games! second game reminds me of this composition by opper with passive sac theme: lichess.org/m5e6v5Iw#0

this type of mate is indeed a typical thing to watch out whenever your king starts right between two rook. I believe this mate is also called Eppault Mate. (Here is another game of Magnus Carlsen with that type of mate shared by Opper with me: www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1272702) Not only the kings file is vulnerable, but the king is also vulnerable to smothered mates as the pawns in the rooks diag are not protected, e.g. 1.g3 Nc6 2.Nc3 Nb4 3. Nb3 (premove) and Nxc2#.

Another related game example:

https://imgur.com/5ueojBP

for example in the game i was planning to simply 0-0 if white had played h5 due to hxg6 fxg6 Bf4 and now thanks to queen on b8, Qxf4 (or Rxf4) and mate next move:

https://imgur.com/5An6Riz

I had also couple game where white had Rh1-Kg1-Rf1 starting position and with black started with Qc8-Ba8, then white allowed me to Bxg2 with the idea Kxg2 Qg4#. So it occurs now and then, its def something to watch out for :)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.