lichess.org
Donate

Feeling stupid

I think it is a general feeling when you put yourself into it. You win, it's okay, you lose, you realize how stupid you are, repeat...
<Comment deleted by user>
@cilbrink Yup. There really isn't any luck too it besides how much worse your opponent plays than you. It's all on you if you're equally skilled. You have to find the path to victory and no one is holding your hand to take you there.
I know it is hard sometimes but it is best not to look at it through too harsh of a lens. This is supposed to be recreational fun at the end of the day. I am trying to think of it in terms of- "Am I better in general than this time last month"?.

If not. Why not.

That is the only puzzle to solve.

Losing means nothing. Unless your pay packet depends on it. Then do a Magnus!
It's okay to make mistakes, even egregious ones, and lose dramatically. It's how you learn and improve, probably far more effectively than rote memorisation and book study. Understanding that you have limitations, and how to move beyond them, is a valuable life-lesson beyond the board.
Well, I'm always going to be a short-arse and there's probably not a lot I can do about that. :)
I feel stupid even when I win and I'd say some book study could probably prevent you from making mistakes you didn't even know you were making.
I would also add that when we play somebody online we can have no idea how much time each person spends studying this stuff compared to us. We could be playing somebody who spends every waking hour yet just about shaved a win off us or somebody who took the game up last Tuesday and smashed us!, No way of knowing.

I don't know about you but I have other fish to fry besides Chess and other knowledge/skills I seek. Not to mention She who must be obeyed to impress.

I have read a few threads from various sources where the question is "Can a late starter become a GM"?
The short story being that it is pretty much if not utterly impossible. Swinging a Golf club later in life will unlikely see us heading for the US Open any time soon either (Though the money outside the top set in Golf would be a sweeter target to aim for compared to Chess), could say the same about picking up a Snooker cue, a set of Darts or a pair of Boxing gloves.

But that is no reason to not do any of it or feel down that there are those who are better than you. Question is, can you shorten the gap?

Analysing losses we a told is fundamental to improvement and I am inclined to agree. Knowing exactly how to do that in a meaningful and methodical way is something I have only recently picked up. (Previously it was more a case of fast clicking, good, good, good, good, ah you tool, done for, done for. End)

A google search on this could help. That way, if you lose, you gain. And if you gain. Winner, winner, Chicken dinner.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.