lichess.org
Donate

Questions regarding making a chess engine.

@AcabaComigo According to what I have read so far by you I believe that the first move that will bring you closer in actually making a chess engine on your own is to accept the fact that you dont know anything about programing and mathematics at least not to a meaningful level that would allow you to make an attempt to code a chess engine.

There are no short cuts or copy/paste code you can use and make a complex thing such as a chess engine to work from scratch nor will it take a few days or weeks....

Once you make peace with those facts then what I suggest you to do is to actually start and learn a basic but popular/widely spread program language such as C for example.

Once you do that for months of exercising and coding various stuff irrelevant to chess but relevant to understand the language then you may try and find out how existing chess engines such as stockfish (which is opensource hence you can glimpse it's source code) work

Once months have passed and you got just the general idea of how this engine works try to fill the mathematical gabs you have on statistics and general computer mathematics (from big O notation toA B pruning and so on and so forth)

Once months have passed and you got an idea on how that math works you can then get into hardware theory and electronics to get into the intricacies of the x86 architecture on how to use efficiently ram etc

Once months have passed and you have a general idea about hardware theory his then you could attempt to write a chess engine on your own.

Once months have passed since this attempt you will realize that you cant make a good enough chess engine on your own but you are now capable on participating in bettering the code for already established engines such as stockfish and will be more than welcome to contribute to such projects.

P.S during all those months you need to get a more solid knowledge of chess theory on the side of course.
@drunkenM4ST4 I have experience with JavaScript and I have seen a relatively simple chess code in JavaScript. Is there the necessity of learning such things as big O notation to A B pruning and x86 architecture? Why?
@AcabaComigo #14 there is no one line answer as to why the fact that you make such a question shows that you need to re read my first response to you.

Its like saying "I want to send a robot on Mars and stream video from there" I once changed the carburetor on my old car and am familiar with engines why do I need to know more about general relativity ? :P
@AcabaComigo You do not understand hence you need to do simpler things you do understand first and then worry about the more complex things.
@AcabaComigo You not understanding my point IS my point, begin with things you understand and start from there building up.

You think that the road to achieve your goals is to ask every question that pops into your mind and somebody will give you an answer that you understand and that somehow you will combine those answers and get to your target....

It does not work like that unfortunately poeple would not go to universities a doctor could become a doctor without the need to go to school and graduate and then practice as an assistant before actually getting a posision as a doctor he only needed to make questions on google such as "if white blood cells kill bacteria then why dont we infuse more blood to patients that are sick?" and become a doctor lol

In your other topic you prove that you have a very lazy approach in solving problems and that is because you dont do what I said in my initial post but rather think you can ask questions and get there...

You ask the minimum moves a knight needs to make in a 8x8 board without even realizing that an 8x8 board has 64 squares hence if you want that knight to go to each square once then the knight needs 64 moves...

You cant have 10 moves or even 63 moves for example in order to travel to 64 squares....

This points that you need to study some arithmetics and then some math if you do that you wont have those issue and be able to answer such questions on your own.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.