lichess.org
Donate

Downgrade stockfish for local game analysis?

Hi there, Is it possible to not run stockfish 14 for game analysis? I find I like to look at my games after the fact, but it takes forever to analyse the move if I didn't get the exact one. This was not a problem when the local engine was stockfish 13 or lower. Please advise. Thanks!
DM
While disabling NNUE indeed increases the nodes per second it massively decreases the strength. SF 14 still finds the best moves much faster, just with much fewer analyzed nodes.

kalafiorcyzk brings up a very good point though. In somewhat simple but not completely trivial positions (i.e. those where SF doesn't instantly jump to depth 245) Lichess will now still analyze for 8 seconds minimum, even if the minimum max depth is already reached. But that shouldn't really be an issue. There is no benefit to waiting for SF to finish if you don't want to. You already get the same analysis immediately, and actually faster than when using SF 14.

Unless you are actually observing a different behavior in which case you might want to provide some more details about what exactly happens and what device, browser, and OS (including version for both) you are using. Also, make sure you are actually getting SF 14 and aren't being downgraded to SF 11 because your browser or device doesn't SF 14 (which might still happen even if it supported SF 13).

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.