lichess.org
Donate

I've read the FAQ about ratings but I still have a question about puzzle ratings

When you're solving a puzzle why is that sometimes i lose -20 when i solve a puzzle wrong, and other times i only get -3. Is it based on the evaluation of the move i played? Or it just only one move is right, and the rest give -20 rating. Im just curious. As far as i can tell only one move counts as correct
First of all puzzles are like normal opponents, you have a puzzle rating and they have a rating too, when you win it's like if you won a game against the puzzle and if you loose it's like you loose a game against the puzzle.
This is like when you are 1500 and win a 1200 get 2 or 3 points and if you win a 1800 you get 20 to 30 points (aproximately), that's the rating you gain with puzzles.

If you think a puzzle is wrong (i.e. has more than a correct move) you can dislike it, and if you find it fun you can upvote it.
So if i only lose 3 rating on a puzzle i solved incorrectly it was a puzzle that was significantly higher than my rating i assume? Most of my puzzles dont show rating :c
1. Yes, it probably means that
2. They don't show the rating until you solve it to prevent you know if it's easy or hard, just like in a real game.
Btw if a puzzle is very new and hasn't been played often yet, your penalty is often reduced bc the puzzle is not properly ranked yet.
Perfect answer by #2, I would just add that what really matters is:

1) Rating: #2 explained it well.

2) Difficulty: you find it on the left and you can choose it between easiest, easier, normal, harder, hardest. If you set it to *normal* you will get puzzles similar to your rating, when you win/lose you gain/lose points normally, like against a real person. If you set it *below normal* you will get puzzles with lower rating and consequently when you win you will gain few points and when you lose you will lose many points. If you set it *above normal*you will get puzzles with higher rating and consequently when you win you will win many points and when you lose you will lose few points.

3) Category: It is the so called "theme" that you find on the left and that refers to all the positions and tactics and notorious checkmates that you can train specifically one by one. The pro is that it is very useful for when you want to improve on a specific pattern of the game; the cons is that, since you have selected a topic and you will therefore receive only puzzles taken from there, you have the advantage of knowing exactly what you are supposed to find and this leads to less rewards when correctly solved and higher losses when failed.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.