lichess.org
Donate

Stark white or Pitch black only on theming ?!

Hi there

I noticed my lichess Youtube videos are a bit on the stark-white side. It seems either that or pitch-black. E.g.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3eiFoHaWaU

What if on the theme settings the rectangle had 3 coloured boxes - the two colours existing and the third one the background colour (not just Stark-white or Pitch-Black) - but a colour that is complementary to the other two ?!

For me personally I like the whole theme to have a wooden brown style to it.

Feedback welcome from all

Cheers, K
I prefer the dark background, because it's easier on the eyes (in my opinion, the dark background should be the default setting).

The wooden brown style sounds like it's not in line with the rest of the site. The first colour that came to mind that would work would be a gray, slightly lighter than charcoal gray (which is more like the dark setting), but slightly darker than steel gray. The text colour might need to be changed, though.
I'm currently working on a mid-way theme. Gentler on the eyes, not too extreme in either way.

I've had the idea of doing a 'red-y' themed version of the site in the past, taking cues from f.lux: removing the blues and making everything a bit reder. But the problem is that it won't work with any of the other presets.
A mid-way theme is too difficult, so I've brought the brightness of the light theme down a couple of scales to make it less glary. It's not a significant change, but it should help a bit when it comes to eye strain.
Hi Clarkey

The issue is with "colour balance" which is something my brother who is an artist is keenly aware of. If you look at Kevin's version of the stream when I played him, he shut down the left hand side, and had a much bigger board. He also had a splash of some of the same colours bottom right (on his web cam section):

See this dual stream - the two interfaces:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=Ex3RoYfePNs&start1=0&video2=B3eiFoHaWaU&start2=1308&authorName=

Now it would be nice if there would be a playing mode to do this automatically for oneself - maybe it could be an interface option?! The overall score maybe could be marked by the player names. This would give a much more positive impression on lichess than I just did with my video. One of my comments include on the last stream video:

"Board's a bit small on my new Nexus 7, it's next to impossible to get player details, and I need more recording volume.
I watch most of your videos, but I'm giving this one a miss." - John Summerfield

I appreciate I could make the board bigger myself with my own streaming facility - xsplit, but it would be nice to have this board enlargement etc as a playing option - maybe it is already and I don't know about it. It creates much more colour balance as well as a large board.

Best wishes
K

It would also be nice to be playing on the interface of the left hand side with a bigger board - so this wouldn't just be good for people doing videos but also playing on the site. Basically remove that left chat area and try for maximum colour balance around the area of the screen.

On my screen on the right, the starkness of the board is emphasised because the board is smaller and surrounded by stark white. Don't you prefer Kevin's objectively above?!

Best wishes
K

You can get a bigger board by zooming in.

Most browsers have this on Ctrl+Mouse wheel in, Opera also has the "+" key for it and I am pretty sure it is somewhere there in the options for most browsers.

http://s30.postimg.org/5hmbf42gv/111222.png

As you can see the image takes most of my screen despite me having a 1980*1200 screen.
Please let me clarify:

One button (or interface option when actually playing) to hide the left and the bottom - to basically "Kevinise" the interface - maybe also something bottom right just like the twitchtv stream to simply :

1) Make the board fit fully the height

2) Colour-balance the colours (bottom right on Kevin's helps)

See Kevin's stream interface (left)- this would be nice to actually play on as well as present on videos:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=Ex3RoYfePNs&start1=0&video2=B3eiFoHaWaU&start2=1308&authorName=

For me the left looks much more swarve and professional looking than the right. Doesn't everyone agree with this comment?!

Can we have the swarve look (left of above) more convenient for any member?!
The difference between the two chessboard is simple. Blitzstream screencap just a part by selecting a frame. Also he removed the "view captured pieces" option.

But stretch the chessboard at his convenience is a plus.
Also you could fill this inconvenience by using the browser zoom. Ctrl + Ctrl - Ctrl 0

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.