lichess.org
Donate

i lost the game on time, but how did i play?

Hi, glad to see you improving!

What I liked:
- first three moves ;c)
- 8. ... 0-0!
- 9. ... Na5!
- 15. ... Bc6 This looks very brave. You have to take control over the long diagonal. but the Bishop is not protected. You calculated all Knight's jumps and realized that it was safe. Well done!
- the e5 idea was correct, the execution not
- 30. ... Rd1+, 31. ... Bd6+ idea, almost winning the Rook (White could save it with 33. Be5!)

What to improve:
- 4. ... dxc4? 5. Bxc4 I don't like this plan for Black. White has the center, you have nothing. Compare that with this line, where Black plays in a true Grunfeld style: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. e3 Bg7! 5. Nf3 0-0 6. Be2 (provoking dxc4 with a tempo) c5! Do you like Black's position here? I certainly do!
- 5. ...e6? In general, when playing g6, you want to avoid playing e6, weakening the dark squares. Here you need the Grunfeld move, c5! Destroy the center! If 6. dxc5, then 6. ... Qxd1 7. Kxd1 and now you can play Bg7 with the idea of 8.b4?? Ng4! That's Grunfeld!
- 6. ... Nc6 Notice that you are blocking the c5 pawn strike.
- 13. ... b5?? The pawn can be taken.
- 18. ... e5?? Another free pawn. (White has 19. Nxe5.)
- 20. ... Nh5?? (Nxe4 wins a pawn.)
- 21. ... Nf4?? You are allowing 22. Nf6+ fork.
- 23. ... f5? Now your opponent can create a passed pawn.

- 28. ... Bg5?? Your Rook is hanging.
- 29. ... Bxe7?? What about Rd1+! 30. Kh2 Bxf4. This is winning for Black.

I know that you were in the time trouble from about move 27, but these two situations are instructive.

Does this feedback help?
Agree with @WildTiger.
The move ...c5 is essential in the Grünfeld.
The move ...e6 is to be avoided.
33. Rfx2+?!

I think this was a very bad move. You used this move to set up the fork with the king and the bishop but you could have just taken the bishop on this move!

I know time was an issue, but at this point you could have taken the bishop and used the pawn majority on the queen side to promote for an easy win.
@WildTiger yes your feedback is indeed helpful. However, i think i will have to study this defense more if i want to play better. Thank you!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.