lichess.org
Donate

Extent of Improvement

Theoretically how quickly can one person improve. Lets use a 1500 as an example (FIDE 1500). Lets say he has all the time needed to study and improve at chess. How quickly would you say he would be able to achieve GM on average? (He is an average individual, intelligence).

If you don't have an educated estimate, feel free to guess!
The number I've seen people say is about 100 points a year. However, it is not a linear function, and everyone reaches a plateau.
The "average" individual is never going to be a GM.
<Comment deleted by user>
If you have a good coach, chess community and the energy and motivation and money to study 8-12 hours a day you can probably become a GM in like 5 years as an otherwise average person. Maybe you should try it and find out.
@jomega said in #2:
> The number I've seen people say is about 100 points a year. However, it is not a linear function, and everyone reaches a plateau.
> The "average" individual is never going to be a GM.

I believe everyone can become a GM if they work hard enough.
@Usizi said in #6:
> I believe everyone can become a GM if they work hard enough.

I read that GM John Nunn was once asked which was harder to achieve, his PhD in mathematics or becoming a GM. He replied that becoming a GM was much more difficult.

This anecdote suggests you are being overly optimistic.
I think the OP forgot to specify the age of the hypothetical person. This is a huge factor. Improving at chess is like learning a language - much easier & faster when you're young.
I guess maybe you had to play chess for about 15000-20000 hours for average

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.