lichess.org
Donate

How to improve life (by yours truly Nexus1200)

Hey everyone. Just because you believe in something doesn't mean you need to disregard the other person's opinion. I have the same personal beliefs as Nexus1200. Also:

God bless YOU.

-America, Free Country
@TKtheGrandMaster

Oh I agree, I didn't disregard any opinion. In fact I'm open to discussing these opinions at any time. I just pointed out that the phrase is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

-Greece, also a free country.
@TKtheGrandMaster said (#21):
> Just because you believe in something doesn't mean you need to
> disregard the other person's opinion.

You are right. Voltaire actually estimated the number of victims of the counter-reformation, the witchhunts and the inquisition to be about 20 000 000 people. They were killed, their possessions appropriated (read: stolen) by the churches, their relatives oftenly sold into slavery and the proceeds given to the church.

So, if someone of this cult tells me not to disregard his opinion, i'd like to answer that i have every goddamn right to disregard an opinion which disregarded every other opinion to a point where they slaughtered millions. For the same reason i won't shed a single tear about Nazis being forbidden in Germany. This is not "anti-freedom", this is social hygienics.

All the freedoms, including the freedom to disregard the opinion of people claiming to have an invisible friend, has not come by itself, it was wrought from the hands of a resistant aristocracy of which the churches were an integral part. Most times these churches were the most frevent supporters of the status quo: the european state were slavery was legal for the longest time was - the Papal State! So, you tell me if you think slavery is OK (actually it is, according to the bible) and i tell you if i disregard this your opinion or not.

krasnaya
#6 >Think yourself. Decide yourself. Act yourself.

What I meant by the phrase is that you always have to take responsibility for what you do, and if undesired results happen to you in consequence of just following other people's order without your own will and decision, you will never be satisfied with it.
In this regard, you have your own decision for whether you believe in the existence of god, but

#7 >Without God, everything is impossible.
>if you only think about your actions and not about what God and the bible says, then basically, mostly everything you do will be sin.

these are definitely wrong. Obviously people can live without religion as you already saw, and elected lawmakers decide what is prohibited in democratic nations.
By the way #13 is the finest and funniest religion-related statement I've ever seen. Can I note the word "aftersandwich" to my hundlename candidates list? :)
@V_fan6110 said (#26):
> Can I note the word "aftersandwich" to my hundlename candidates list?

To be honest it is not my own invention but by the austrian satirist Günther Paal. In case you know german: youtube.com/watch?v=EKQVsHwOGII

I have to admit, though, that i am envious of this his invention.

krasnaya
@TKtheGrandMaster said (#28):
> No cursing, we are gentlemen.

First off: who was cursing? I haven't seen such a thing in this thread.

Second: a "curse", according to Merriam-Webster, is "to call upon divine or supernatural power to send injury upon". So, as the believers and the non-believers in supernatural forces here are clearly divided: who of your team of belivers in imaginary friends have called upon one of them to send injury?

You may think i make fun of you - and on a very superficial level this is true because i try to phrase my arguments in a way that they are fun to read. On the other hand: the very concept of a "curse" depends on the belief that there is some supernatural power to call upon (gods, fate, luck - call it whatever you want, they all are not part of a universe based on reason and causality). Therefore, when someone curses, he either means that just figuratively, a "façon de parlais" - or he is superstitious in one or the other way.

krasnaya
@CalKK10 #2
"#1 Become a Christian.
#2 Eat food.
#3 Don't fill your life with drugs."

I have no problems with #1 and #2 on your list, but from aspirin to caffeine to alcohol to various licit and illicit plant products, I think drugs are a part of human culture the rest of this age, and perhaps beyond. That doesn't seem like a battle worth fighting to me.

I think what is missing from your list is things to do for others. We each need to do more for others in this world, and most assuredly the next. That we haven't done more for others is forgivable. That we are not doing enough for others is almost a certainty. That we won't do enough for others is unavoidable.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.