lichess.org
Donate

Sick of being 'punished' for winning with clock run downs

Yes it is annoying. Players who keep stalling get temporary bans of increasing length.
Still they only use the time you agreed to use on that game in advance. They don't behave honourable, but what do you expect this thread might change? This is chess discussion not non-chess discussion.
@NickUK1969 said in #1:
> I am pretty sick of people getting their 'revenge' on me beating them by just sitting there and letting their clock run down.
> I play 10min each chess, and I play fast, often winning within 2-3min, its just the way I play, then I have to sit there for 7mins while the other person punishes me for winning, no resign and 'gg well played' just an ignorent response of silence and the slow tick of their clock down to 0:00.
> Over the years this has happened to me hundreds if not thousands of times!
> What happened to courtesy in this day and age?
> I am sorry I outplayed you I won't do it again!
>
> Edit: I remember the VERY FIRST game I ever played online back in 1997, it was against an italian guy and I had mate in 2...he sat there for 15mins and let his clock run down and I was like WTF...I guess it was a sign of things to come!

Sounds like a good time to brush your teeth, recharge the beads, do visualization exercises (figure out the fastest way for a knight to get from one random square to another random square), recharge the beads again to ensure maximum charge, etc
It's really annoying - Probably why I prefer to play 5+3. I think the overall game times can balance out but at least you don't have to wait so long when people do this.

The ridiculous thing though is that over the past few days I've been playing some unrated games and unrated 960 just to try them out and people still do it!

What's the point in an unrated game? There's no points anyway so what's the mindset of someone who'd still sit letting the clock run down hoping for a "victory"! Why even bother?
If you really want to play chess and not get annoyed, then personalized your time controls in the lobby section.
If you are trophy hunting (by winning lower rated players) then continue to play in tournaments. You will find a lot of trophy hunters in tournaments. The players that let their clock run down probably hate trophy hunters. As a rating increases we need to be more selective with who we play against.

Resign, Block and report the players that frustrate you the most and then continue to play in the lobby.
If that does not work for you either, then play against an engine. Might help to make you happier. After all, it's not OTB where you see the person. It's online like you are driving a car and people are speeding all around you or burning stops signs.

What I do is filter players by network connection. If they have a low internet connection then chances are I won't be as happy playing with them then playing with someone that has a more stable connection. If you hover your mouse over the user names, you too can manually pick the ones with a more stable (strong) connection.

If there was a feature that would filter weak connections, or players that tend to leave their time run out, I would not have to do it manually by looking and blocking.
@Le_Patzer83 said in #12:
> Sounds like a good time to brush your teeth, recharge the beads, do visualization exercises (figure out the fastest way for a knight to get from one random square to another random square), recharge the beads again to ensure maximum charge, etc
I guess I know what sort of beads you are talking about...why I have no idea
<Comment deleted by user>
@TeddyTheTurkey said in #19:
> Interestingly, the OP has been flagged for violating the ToS...
they said I was manipulating ratings which is untrue...
I do not enter tournaments so would I?
I resign a lot of games out of sheer boredom, especially when they just sit there

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.