lichess.org
Donate

A poor man's approach to become better?

Calculating faster will help your game. I guarantee it. Though if you are calculating faster while missing stuff then it does not help you at all. The point is calculate faster while keeping quality of calculation in tact or better yet improve that as well.
Tactics puzzles, endgame puzzles, and a couple of master games every day. Find mistakes in each game you played and figure out how you could've played better (natural way to learn openings). Have the intent to improve and focus/concentrate. Try to enjoy the training and the game itself, don't focus too much on results.
Also remember that we are all mannered monkeys, so if you play like a mannered monkey (i.e Kingscrusher) and throw all of your pawns at your opponent, you might win somehow.
What happens if Magnus Carlsen loses the match? He wil lose the world champion title. If he quits chess, what will he do instead?
"...Magnus Carlsen loses the match?...If he quits chess, what will he do instead?"

Webmaster at Lichess might be an option.
BTW, some thoughts about calculation by Jonathan Hawkins:

- Deep calculation is usually not necessary and often will be inaccurate

- Without a goal in mind, calculation loses much of its power

- Your goal should be to build up an arsenal of patterns and pieces of knowledge which allow you to evaluate certain situations...

Regards, Karl

P.S.: I hope this post is short enough for those having problems reading longer texts ;-)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.