lichess.org
Donate

Forum violations of ToS: Moderation and response time.

Cynosure said in #20:
> Lichess isn't a signatory to the Geneva Convention - it only applies to states and "detaining authorities"
Hmm, you have a good point. From a legal perspective, not sure from an ethical perspective.
(And I don't mean this, as a way to question yours or lichess ethics)

> I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect the Lichess moderators to have to begin interpreting the Geneva Convention.
I agree, I mentioned something similar in #1.
This is one of the reasons, as to why I made this thread.

>For example, a body of a dead soldier doesn't breach the Geneva Convention, but it'd certainly breach Lichess mod rules.
Look at the picture in #55:
lichess.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/some-ground-photo?page=6
This is the same link I gave in #11, same link also shows faces of PoW.

> Lichess also isn't hosting the image,
Lichess might not be 'hosting' the images, however the images are on this platform.

> As to GDPR, those rights only apply (globally) to EU citizens.
I will have to disagree, my reasons is based on this GDPR's recital:
"The protection afforded by this Regulation should apply to natural persons, whatever their nationality or place of residence, in relation to the processing of their personal data.
Source: gdpr-info.eu/recitals/no-14/
Although technically not in itself legally binding, it however, can be used as a legal argument.
Regardless of the legality of the pictures.
Let's put that argument aside for a moment.

Pictures of PoW's are extreme. If not for the viewer, then for the prisoner and his/her family.
Pictures of dead/dying soldiers, civilians, cats and dogs are extreme.

Lichess isn't a news outlet, should these types of extreme pictures be allowed to flourish here?

If so, then where is the line?
>Lichess isn't a news outlet, should these types of extreme pictures be allowed to flourish here?

I certainty, think that links to news sites are acceptable in the off-topic forum. When it comes to embedded images, I think it very much comes down to the individual pictures. There is a big difference between an open casket picture of a burial and a brutal picture from an ongoing battle.

>If so, then where is the line?
Not an easy question. If there was a definitive answer to that, I would hope someone would tell me :P I will say that either of the two extremes, removing all pictures of Russia's invasion, or leaving all the picture's (regardless of gore/shock factor), you would find me somewhere in the middle of the two. And if you find yourself somewhere in the middle, it's hard to avoid things being subjective.
I always like the moment when a moderator clears off endless, long doubts.
Why are we really like talking and fighting about this.......nothing is changing
@usaplayer2019 said in #25:
> Why are we really like talking and fighting about this.......nothing is changin

Not true, everything is changing. Constantly. Now, for instance, we are seeing a new world order unfolding before our own very eyes. That is, if you have "eyes to see, and ears to hear"...; )
yeah @chesseater78 said in #26:
> Not true, everything is changing. Constantly. Now, for instance, we are seeing a new world order unfolding before our own very eyes. That is, if you have "eyes to see, and ears to hear"...; )

yeah i guess so

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.