lichess.org
Donate

Left handed Chess player vs Right handed Chess player, is our thinking different ?

Handedness in the hand and fingers, for fine motor skill tasks, can be different, for cross-dominant people, than handedness in coarser motor skills (i play racket, and kick ball right handed but eat and write left handed). not ambidextrous. Since handedness, varies there, why would it not in other handedness at the cognitive level (should call it hemispheric preference per task maybe). And different cognitif tasks with well defined protocols might have defined a bunch of different kind of handedness.... I am not up 2 date.

also, i see art in math. any professional anything will use both sides of the brain when doing the thing they are pro at. May not be on the same aspect that a non-pro would, but global analysis and detailed analysis both can be used for the same task. That is the last i heard about brain sides specialization. But that was a while ago. The art versus math dichotomy is even older, and physical action handedness, as for fine versus coarse motor skills, may not be followed in cognitive half-brain preferences for a given task.
me too. but i don't think the question was for people who use the left or right hand when moving a chess piece.
stating the obvious, perhaps.
I may be in the minority here, but I have both a left and a right hand.
I read something last year about some doubt creeping in with the old theory of right brained and left brained people.

www.health.harvard.edu/blog/right-brainleft-brain-right-2017082512222

@Skittle-Head sinister in latin means the left side. I wonder if left handed people were originially called sinister because sinister at the time meant left. I know sinister now in english has a different meaning and there was a time were left handed people were thought to be evil by the christians.

I'm fascinated by etymology, and people that don't know the different between etymology and entomology really bug me.
@h2b2

I enjoy learning new things almost as much as I enjoy a good pun.

Cheers.
@Skittle-Head Yeah i agree, i'm a self employed gardener and any secateurs i buy are designed for right handed use ,
also scissors , and actually petrol strimmers are designed for use on the right side of the body.

And in England we drive on the left side of the road (well most of us at least) so that's cool and the gear shift in most cars is on the left although the steering wheel is on the right.
@ProfessorBooty I'm not sure if it make's any difference to the GM ,IM ,CM etc levels just as i don't know if if makes any difference to lower rated players but i would like to know.
@sparowe14 Yes, some people are forced to eat the right handed way with knife in the right hand fork in the left, i too eat this way despite being left handed although i wasn't suppressed.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.