lichess.org
Donate

A master rated 2400+ that didn't know the Damiano defense is bad?

Can someone explain this game for me? It is in the Lichess Master database. Michael Millstone (I think he's an IM) plays the line that Pedro Damiano condemned way back in 1512. He even plays the lemon fxe5?? after losing the pawn. Was this some kind of practical joke or protest? He didn't even resign after losing the rook but played on. I find it hard to believe a Master wouldn't know this. @sarg0n

All sorts of strong people are bad at openings they don't play often. 2... f6 suggests he was more about having a fun game of chess that playing the soundest lines for the win.

tl;dr : you overestimate rating
Lol, given that this was a modern (started in 2016) ICCF (correspondence) tournament game, something very suspicious going on there.

My first thought was that the game score was incorrect, but it's the same score as available in the official PGN download from ICCF at the tournament page: www.iccf.com/event?id=58195

There's no way an ICCF player of any reasonable rating would play this way because he didn't know better, so he must have done it as a joke (not likely in a team tournament, or any game, really, since high ratings are hard to come by in the ICCF and getting points back is a slow process) or mistakenly sent f6 to the server instead of Nf6 on move 2, and then since that's just losing at high correspondence level anyway, just decided to end it humorously.

That latter gets a bit more likely too since he did play the Petroff in one of the other two games where he faced 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3
Maybe he's a Slav player that's a little overly firm in his convictions.
I thought all games in the master database were played OTB? A mouseclick doesn't seem likely if you ask me. Move confirmation. Also even Fischer drew against the damiano defense (in a simul I believe) It's not an instant win until you play fxe5.
crap is getting deep ICCF players use chess databases and computers while playing postal. ICCF players do not play otb most people know that
Ok so can anyone tell me what type of games the master database includes? Correspondence with engine assistance, OTB, what else?
@NeverBeenTimid

In the ICCF 2...f6 is a practically certain loss even without 3...fxe5; ok, I suppose in theory 32-piece tablebases might say draw, but against 2200+ ICCF players right now you'll definitely lose every game, MAYBE with a rare exception, but I doubt it.

OTB is a different story, for sure. On a previous account I played it quite a bit (admittedly in bullet, where very little matters), and didn't lose rating in the period where I played it. It's definitely not trivial in non-correspondence, non-engine play if black is stubborn.

Yeah, there are quite a few ICCF games in the lichess DB; a lot of obscure lines I analyze end up having ICCF games in the top games in the lichess opening explorer.

I'm not sure what the criteria are for games making it into the DB; one of the mods/devs would have to chime in there. I do know that basically all manner of OTB games make it in (rapid, blitz, Basque, etc.)
Thanks for your insight. I just find it weird that engine assisted games are included in the database. I thought all master games in the database were under tournament conditions. Not that 2...f6 needed much engine assistance as its losing straight away. That's why I find it hard to believe that this game even exists. A mouseslip in correspondence? Maybe the best explanation.
I don't think it's a mouseslip. In the ICCF you can use keyboard input, so typing Nf6 and the 'N' not registering for some reason is not so far-fetched.

Still, as I said in my initial post, it's suspicious/surprising no matter how you interpret it, so there we agree.

I just think mistyping the move makes the most sense of the available explanations; it could be a lot of things, of course :)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.