lichess.org
Donate

Hello this is my last match, i played as white , do you think it was good or bad , middlegame

my opponent made a blunder he did not see my queen , but if he did not made that blunder what side would be better then.
Well, he has the bishop pair and your bishop is trapped on h2. But that knight on e6 is a beautiful knight. Also your rooks are more active. He has some nasty tactics like Ba6 and then Nxe6 which wins him a piece but overall it's an equalish position. His passed a-pawn might give him a slight edge, like -0.2 or something like that but nothing you can't hold. I would like to point out that I don't fancy Chigorin Variation but this is beyond the point. I think when you play d4 you have to play c4, this gives white the most advantage. 7.h3 is a waste of time in my opinion, because the bishop will have a bad time getting to g4. The knight there does nothing. 7.f3 might have been better because you prepare to push e5 and you take away e4 from black. As you might saw, c4 would have given you more space to develop.
Thank you for you comment , i will try to improve based on your opinion. Thank you
PS: what is your favorite opening for white?
PS: Even magnus playing Chigorin a lot, so i thought it would be a good opening
I accually play the Italian. I don't say that Chigorin Variation is losing, otherwise no one would play it. Just that you get most advantage by 2.c4
If you are going to play this d4, Bf4, Nc3 system you have to be aware of black's weak c7-pawn. It might seems crude and primitive but as early as move 4 you are already almost winning with 3. ... Nc6? 4. Nb5! Doubleattack on c7 and black has to sack a pawn with e5 I think.

As to your question the final position before the blunder is interesting. Both sides have weak pawns and black will try to either hunt down your e6-pawn with Rd8, Bf8 etc or run down his a-pawn which can be dangerous if white does nothing.

As far was plans for white go I would look for a way to trade off your weak (backwards) c-pawn. Trouble is, if you get cxd4 in then his bishop will be excellent - so it has to be weighed carefully.

Another plan might be to try to get your knight to a good square! Do you see a way to get your knight to a good square and if so which square would you like? How would you get it there without losing the d4-pawn?

His a-pawn is a nuisance and has to be stopped. As Nimzowitsch famously said: "The passed Pawn is a criminal, who should be kept under lock and key"! A long term plan could be to move pawn to c3, Ra1 and try to capture the pawn.

Just some quick thoughts about the position.
Very informative , thank you very much , i will take a look at all yours ideas and will try it in my next game.

Before the blunder it is even. Black has an easier game, but white can hold.
before he gave up his queen you were winning because you had a passed pawn. now he had two bishops but that pawn was terrific!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.