lichess.org
Donate

One question.

How is it that when I play with players who have a bad connection I see their clock gaining seconds when the fair should be losing.
Lichess acts like the problem of a bad connection is mine. This gets so very confusing in quick games and when I play with such players 99% I lose on time. Thank you!
Increments maybe? Lichess time controls have two numbers. The first is the initial amount of time (in minutes). The second is the increment, which is the time you gain every time you move (in seconds).
If people play quickly they can get more time than they lose (especially in openings, when premoves are common).
The connection speed of a player does nothing. Lichess tries to compensate fairly for individual lag.
Hi Errp and thanks a lot for your answer but I know what increment is. I'm talking about games without it. You should try yourself some bullet games (without increment) and take a look at the clock of bad connection players. Please come back to tell me your experience.
@OneAttack said in #1:
> How is it that when I play with players who have a bad connection I see their clock gaining seconds when the fair should be losing.

The fact that you see their clock gaining seconds does not necessarily mean that it is their connection which is bad.

The other possibility is that your own connection is bad. Lag is very confusing because it means that what you see is not what is actually happening in real time. Suppose your opponent had 50 seconds left and makes a move in 5 seconds so their time goes down to 45 seconds. However, suppose you have a bad connection. Then you won't see their move when they make it. Instead you will see their clock run down to, say, 42 seconds. Then, when your connection catches up, the server will tell your machine that your opponent actually moved with 45 seconds left. And you will see their clock go up from 42 seconds to 45 seconds.

To find out if your own connection is bad, go to: lichess.org/lag Try it at various random times in case your connection is sometimes good and sometimes bad.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.