lichess.org
Donate

Puzzle 64168 is wrong

In lichess.org/training/64168 the "solution" is d5, after which the opponent plays the very bad and therefore unpredictable move Nxd5.

There is no reason to play Nxd5. Ne5 and even Rg8 are much better. This shouldn't be a puzzle.
Yeah, this is certainly on the boundary of what is a tactic. That said d5 is undeniably a great move, opening up the bishops on Black's king position with tempo, and bringing threats of Qa4 and Bb5.

Ne5 is certainly a better response than Nxd5, but wouldn't Rg8 lose the c6 knight?
d5 is by far the best move, but not for a immediate material win.
After 11. d5, if …Nxd5, you're right, but after …Ne5, 12. Qa4 and black king is in danger.
According to my Stockfish 10, black's 5 best responses in descending order are:
-1.93 Nc6-e5
-3.78 Ne7xd5
-4.37 Rh8-g8
-4.40 Qf6-Qg6
-4.46 Nc6-b8
But d5 would be the best move for White even if Black didn't play Nxd5. White doesn't play d5 as if he was anticipating the unpredictable Nxd5 but while opening the lines for black-squared Bishop aiming at a7 to drive away the Knight from protecting a7, then attack a7 with Qa4 gaining a tempo and if Black responses a6 then 0-0-0 to get the King out of the center, and then maybe Bxa6. Your task is to find the best move for White regardless of Black's responses.
Hi,
Same problem here lichess.org/training/116886
Stockfish prefers to sacrifice his rook, which is not so obvious. If someone can explain me if with the white, you would sac your rook?
@Kalfch The idea of Nxd4 is to get to Ne2+ and then Nxf4 and White's position will collapse. Rxd4 seems to be the best defense against Black's threats. Ra2 would defend against Ne2+ but it's still worse than Rdx4. You can turn the Stockfish on after the solution and try other moves.
@ThatChapThere

Based on computer evaluations? Where did you get that idea from?

Check out e.g. lichess.org/training/113105 and let me know which computer program gives the last move of the solution Kf2 as a better move than Kg2 which I played.

Especially annoying since the difference my program gives me (+7.4 instead of +0.8) is quite impressive.

It definitely shouldn't be called "Best move" but more accurately "Most likely played move of the game".

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.