lichess.org
Donate

300 move limit

Why is there a 300-move limit to Lichess games? I had a won position but Lichess enforced a draw at 300 moves
I'm not sure I can see the reason. Ok, this game was dumb and way too long, but nobody was stuck in that game : black could have resigned, and white could have gone for the win. i don't understand why this particular example is problematic in any way. Am I missing something ?
I agree, the limit should be removed. Here's an ultrabullet game (from my old account) where I slowly positionally outplayed my opponent, only to be cut off from the 300 move limit. An absolute masterpiece ruined by this rule!
You are just wasting resources by "playing" games like this. And that's the reason for the limit.
@ATTRV122I you should have won the game earlier it is quite rude to do that sort of thing. Its just being an ass to move a pawn once in a while to avoid the draw. I say you got what you deserved a draw.
I think 300 plys instead of 300 moves would also be enough if implemented ;).

Theoretically speaking , when the player with advantage wants that kind of a game and the weaker is left only with a king, lets say that stronger has a rook and 4 pawns on a second rank and promoting to crazy queens or rooks that oponent will eventually have to capture, you could easily reach 4x (6+1) x 50 == 1400 moves... + the previous "real" moves... wasting 90% of transferred messages for such a game.

The standard /international chess sibling Makruk - has these rules for an exact endgame if you cant checkmate within this time then it will be a draw:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makruk#Counting_rules

<PRE>
When neither player has any pawns left, mate must be achieved in 64 moves. The disadvantaged player counts, and may at any time choose to stop counting. If the disadvantaged player checkmates the advantage side and did not stop counting, the game is declared a draw.
When the last piece (that is not the king) of the disadvantaged player is captured, the count may be started, or restarted from the aforementioned counting, by the weaker player, and the stronger player now has a maximum number of moves based on the pieces left:

If there are two rooks left: 8 moves
If there is one rook left: 16 moves
If there are no rooks left, but there are two bishops: 22 moves
If there are no rooks or bishops left, but there are two knights: 32 moves
If there are no rooks left, but there is one bishop: 44 moves
If there are no rooks or bishops left, but there is one knight: 64 moves
If there are no rooks, bishops or knights left, but only queens: 64 moves
The disadvantaged player announces the counting of his fleeing moves, starting from the number of pieces left on the board, including both kings. The winning player has to checkmate his opponent's king before the maximum number is announced, otherwise the game is declared a draw. During this process, the count may restart if the counting player would like to stop and start counting again.

For example, if White has two rooks and a knight against a lone black king, he has three moves to checkmate his opponent (the given value of 8 minus the total number of pieces, 5). If Black captures a white rook, the count does not automatically restart, unless Black is willing to do so, at his own disadvantage. However, many players do not understand this and restart the counting while fleeing the king.
</PRE>
I was on the receiving end of this in a casual game: lichess.org/0zLuc9FT at first I thought my opponent didn't know the mate, so I started sending hints in chat saying how to do it (yes I could have just resigned but I thought they might like to figure out the checkmate), then I thought they were running for the world record of longest checkmate so I thought I'd be a sport and play along (all moves were made very quickly after all), then I was stuck trying to work out why it was a draw after move 300 :-) the code commit was made in February 2018: github.com/ornicar/lila/commit/f8921999115878a98431cd722b267281793b7f6f

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.