lichess.org
Donate

+2000 Convert A piece for 2 or 3 pawns in a endgame with other pieces on the board

Hi,

There is something I am struggling to understand:

Especially in blitz people sack pieces for pawns to attack. Which is a good practical decision: You have the initiative and with low time for your opponent it is hard to defend.

I am more a positional player than an attacker and what I try to do first of all is not dying ;) I especially like to exchange queens but in the end I often have this kind of situation where I am lost.

I have 4 pawns let's say one Bishop and 2 Rooks and my opponent 1 rook 1 bishop and 6 or 7 pawns.

I have no clue here. Because if I want to traid everything I will have 1 rook vs 2 or 3 pawns. OK depending on the position of the pawns it can be a easy win or and easy lose.

The thing is my opponents shuffle a lot there pieces and keep the tension. They play well :) and of course push their damm passed pawns...

So to conclude to me it is logical to not die and try to survive but how to prove and advantage when you have a piece up against 2 or 3 pawns.

I will link a game I recently played
Move 29 I tried to stopped his pawn majority and here I didn't know how to make progress.

My only plan was taking the a2 pawn and promote mine which was difficult to do
@Slugy
Well, you had advantage before the position occurred and you lost it because of some mistakes which you can also see.

Now, in the position you have advantage of -1.92 means Stockfish can win it but it would take time to arrive at result.
It seems to me that forcing exchange of rooks from the position of 29th move favours you since the 4 pawns on Queenside each nullify their strength. And your bishop and king can go closer to the king side to prevent advancement of the three pawns. Well, there isn't clear way to progress from here but we can try.
Stockfish says the best move for you is d5 instead of Rg4.
I quit on the topic as I also don't have things to talk about the game and even I can't progress well. But I can try challenging Stockfish from the position.
Also, better go through the analysis of the game in order not to get such a position. Your pawns wouldn't go anywhere if you hadn't repelled White's move properly.
Having a look at the game I see it's not only piece for 2-3 pawns, those are connected and passed pawns and also your king is exposed.

In such situation exchanging queens looks right to protect your king, but you should find balance because with every piece exchange passed pawns will become stronger. I would have tried to stop those passed pawns asap so probably I would keep my king on kingside to help with that.

Thinking on the practical side in fast games, I would avoid to give such sacking chances and would look for positions more comfortable. For example, in that Nimzowisch Attack line if you prefer more positional game I would recomend delay castle to avoid opposite side castling.
Aw crud, I probably have to be a chess.commie to gain access. Can somebody post the position on move 29?
I tried several times to play against the computer here

@Akbar2thegreat Yes. I tried to exchange Rooks and indeed I can stop the pawns with my bishop but against stockfish 7 I can only draw. Against 8 I lose and against 6 I win. It seems that 3 pawns for the piece is indeed even. 3 points against 3 :)

Against 2 pawns I more confident to win. So it seems that I must defend without losing more than 2 pawns and I will be fine in most cases.

@dipblu My king is exposed but can't be mated by just one rook except by mistake. Concerning the other points you are right

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.