lichess.org
Donate

Where does the prize pool money for the new prize arena tournaments come from?

I am disappointed to find that prize money will be funded from members donations. I read thibaults explanation of attracting professional players and awarding them prize $. This I can get behind. However, many Titled players are not professionals. They are highly rated amateurs. Everyone is aware certain titles can simply be bought online.
I was to be making a monthly contribution, but now have mixed feelings. Expected the money was to go towards further developing lichess and not paying prizes for chess players. At the very least, in keeping with lichess open and honest policy, I should think people making donations be made aware of this, or possibly checking a box agreeing a portion of the $ can be used to pay prizes.

Has lichess staff given thought to long term plans regarding tournaments for money? Will it in the future offer cash tournaments to Class players because it will attract more members?

Once a course has been taken of chess for cash, I hope lichess staff has thought out and carefully considered the future. How big will the prizes become? How many tournaments and how often?
Will bigger and bigger prize pools be offered and to more classes (amateurs) ? Does lichess want to compete with other sites by eventually offering the highest online prizes? Of course these questions can not be fully answered now, but I think members making donations should be informed of possible future plans.
Thank You
Yes, upon reflection I have 2nd thoughts. Prizes for "professionals" I have no issue with. But who qualifies as a professional? Titled players do not automatically make for one.

It is a good start in attracting "professional" players but from where the monies are found is the question. At the least contributors should be informed a portion of their donation is being used. I strongly oppose $ for amateurs and am concerned lichess may eventually head in that direction. Chess.com has a constant battle with verification of participants. Seems every tournament players are deleted for cheating or entered under false pretense. Has lichess staff taken the best possible measures to ensure that participants are "professionals"? And just what makes for one anyway?

OTB tournament prizes are funded by participants entries along with sponsors donations. Some elite tournaments are by invitation with paid expenses offered by a sponsor.

The "free entry" to online tournaments, where participants undergo a identity verification if they claim a "Titled" status is something relatively new and often is circumvented.
I really think lichess should have a comprehensive break out of the expenses. Not the theoretical ones but month to month updates. It'd be much more transparent.
@mdinnerspace So where can I "simply buy" those titles?? I would like FM title, actually I might have a group of people who want FM title, so perhaps it would be cheaper if we buy it "wholesale" way?
Since "everyone is aware" I would like to know as well
There are a dozen chess Titles, almost all of which have been earned. CM titles (candidate master) are easily came by for amateur players. NM (national master) is another title that can be easily obtained. It has been shown a player can petition and obscure country hardly heard of (that has a chess federation) and be awarded the title.
I am not in any way downplaying Fide Titles. But the lower classifications do not automatically make for a "professional."
Technically speaking, in any sport, anyone who plays for money is a professional, so the term is wide open to interpretation.

@stockmodo_007
of course FM titles can not be bought. You are only trying to insult me. I said "certain titles" which means there exists a very few that can be earned and not playing at a master level.
to get CM Fide title is hard, since you have to reach 2200 elo classical OTB (not online), try to get and you'll find out that even 2000 elo is too hard for you... but I am still wondering wtf did u mean by writing "Everyone is aware certain titles can simply be bought online"???

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.